Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:57 pm

So, I've begun the Berserk manga (that counts, right? Or do we want a separate topic? Start it if so) and it's a harsh world out there indeed. Some impressive art with superb double-page spreads, and a grim fantasy world with plenty of bloody violence.

Just started Infection, and I like it, but it also seems like the beginning of another quirky-group-who-investigates like Fringe or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and nothing more. Anyone further on than the first volume?

Southern Bastards, I've pre-ordered volume 3 and will twiddle my thumbs until then. Great series so far.

Low is off to a promising start, but Deadly Class is excellent, I'm very pleased with it and it's right at the top of my to-follow list. Carrying on further with Zero, and Sex Criminals (although it's getting a little too real and making me sad), and Crossed.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Re: Comics

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:54 pm

Deadly Class is really good, agreed. I hope they can sustain it. I had hoped for a similar tone and edge from Grayson (mainstream DC book), but that's been a let-down. And I've utterly given up on Sex Criminals--like you wrote, the tone has changed and it's just not as, I don't know, fun I suppose. But it sort of seemed like it had great likelihood to be a one-trick pony from the beginning, so I'm not sure what they could have done differently.

Apart from Coffin Hill (which I mentioned whilst upstairs in the Legitimate Books department), I've also been enjoying We Stand on Guard. Clever premise, twisty, and some great dialogue. The art isn't eye-popping but it works well in service of the story. Wish I could find a reliably good superhero book. I feel like there are too many event tie-ins and too much writer/artist shuffling for a title to really hit its stride these days.

Re: Comics

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Wow I absolutley love Southern Bastards and Deadly Class!

My blog: speletsregler

Return to “Non-Gaming Chat”