admin
Site Admin

Review: Civilization VI

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:00 pm

One of the biggest gaming surprises of 2017—and boy was it a surprise—came right at the end of the year when, presto-blamo, Civilization VI was available on the iPad.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-civilization-vi/

DotComCTO

Re: Review: Civilization VI

Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:56 pm

It should be noted that when the game was released, the purchase price of the full game was $29.99; this coincided with the sale price of the game on Steam. As of Jan 4, 2018, the price reverted back to the full $59.99.

On a related note, because Aspyr uses IAP to purchase/unlock the full game, AppStore Family Sharing is NOT supported!

FAMILY SHARING
The complete game unlock for Civilization VI is sold as an in-app purchase. Apple does not support Family Sharing for in-app purchases at this time.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201060

To play on multiple devices, Civilization VI would need to be purchased separately on a different iTunes account.

Check out Aspyr's FAQ: https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/arti ... Mobile-FAQ

One last note, the game does support keyboard shortcuts as well as mods! Just do a little searching for the info.

moggylloyd

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:47 pm

I agree with the case for some mobile games being treated the same as PC and console games just on a different platform, and I've long been a vocal advocate for more premium paid-for games on mobile instead of all the free rubbish ... but $60 does seem very steep and overpriced for a port of a game that's been out in other formats for more than a year. I just think it'll put a lot of people off, and keeping it at the $20-30 level would be more realistic to generate sales.

DotComCTO

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:15 pm

OTOH, when not on sale, the PC/Mac version of Civilization VI cost $60, too.

G Mahler

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:23 pm

This comment is for PC only but I do want to bring your attention to this. If you subscribe to Humble Bundle for $12 a month, the first game you will get is Civ VI and the two DLCs via Steam. You will not find a better price anywhere, for any format. Needless to say, I took advantage of it!

Erroll

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:17 pm

I have it on my IPad Air 1. It says "not supported" whenever I launch but it has worked ok so far. YMMV. Scrolling is not smooth but it plays well. I can't speak for end game yet, when there are a lot of units. I actually working my way through Halcyon 6 right now so have only played a little.

I don't know if it is because I play on an Air 1 with it's 1GB Ram but if I leave the game for any reason it will need to completely reloaded. This means you need to auto-save at the least and will need to save if, for instance, you need to check your email.

Kudos to Aspyr for just warning me, not blocking me, from playing.

Erroll

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:19 pm

It is also worth mentioning that their strategy of making the full game an IAP allows them to defeat family sharing. Especially annoying on such an expensive game.

Do not be fooled by the "Family Sharing Enabled" flag, that only applies to the demo version which is free anyway.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”