admin
Site Admin

PT Guides: Like... Magic: The Gathering? You'll Love These

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Magic: The Gathering is an awesome game that appeals to a wide audience in a great many ways. It is somewhat lacking, however, in a mobile presence.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/pocket-tactics-presents-games-that-are-like-magic-the-gathering/

Playa_Punch

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Dream Quest...soooo good. Maybe I should find some time to give these other a shot. Thanks for the piece.

KingJoshington

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:02 pm

I STILL love DreamQuest, all this time later. I think I've put about 300+ hours into it. It's my go to game on the metro or anytime I'm stuck waiting.

BrokenSpectre

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:17 am

Dream Quest is an amazing game, but my god is it difficult.

silvercourage

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:12 am

Incredibly fun deck builder. Two things you should know about Peter Whalen and Dream Quest:

(1) The Graphics: His two daughters made them for him, and he included them so they could be involved. (Age 11 and 7 at the time I think?) He???s gotten hammered for them in numerous reviews, but not only are they an example of gameplay over graphics, they are also special when you know who drew them.

(2) Hearthstone/Blizzard team tweeted (?) out how the game was destroying productivity across the team.. Peter thanked them and after a few more back and forth???, they offered him a job! Hell of a way to have your resume speak for yourself..

(3) Richard Garfield (Creator of Magic the Gathering) is also a fan and talks with him. Apparently Richard asked/encouraged him to add the ability to save game states as codes so you or others can play through the same game seed.

Incredible game, definitely hope to see more from him in the future. Don???t be put off by the graphics. While I thought he might eventually offer an option for ???original??? or ???fancy??? to quiet critics and gain a wider audience, (most had no idea the backstory), he never did and I think that???s kind of cool too for his girls..

NICKVIGDAHL

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:56 am

Incredibly fun deck builder. Two things you should know about Peter Whalen and Dream Quest:

(1) The Graphics: His two daughters made them for him, and he included them so they could be involved. (Age 11 and 7 at the time I think?) He???s gotten hammered for them in numerous reviews, but not only are they an example of gameplay over graphics, they are also special when you know who drew them.

(2) Hearthstone/Blizzard team tweeted (?) out how the game was destroying productivity across the team.. Peter thanked them and after a few more back and forth???, they offered him a job! Hell of a way to have your resume speak for yourself..

(3) Richard Garfield (Creator of Magic the Gathering) is also a fan and talks with him. Apparently Richard asked/encouraged him to add the ability to save game states as codes so you or others can play through the same game seed.

Incredible game, definitely hope to see more from him in the future. Don???t be put off by the graphics. While I thought he might eventually offer an option for ???original??? or ???fancy??? to quiet critics and gain a wider audience, (most had no idea the backstory), he never did and I think that???s kind of cool too for his girls..

Thanks for this comment, particularly #1. I had no idea and you're right, that does change from an oddity to a rather endearing feature. I feel a little bad for my quip now...sorry girls!

I 100% agree that one should not be put off by the graphics but I know many are. It's a shame, really, because Dream Quest is without question one of the best iOS games out there. You can easily play for hundreds of hours.

Hustlertwo

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:46 am

Dream Quest devoured literally whole months of my life. First getting all the classes, then getting to the Lord of the Dream with each, and finally after 500 or so playthroughs, striking him down. I did it once with Professor (hooray Three Wishes and Discharge) and once with a Wizard armed with Venomous and a couple Blights. The achievement point system is an incredibly creative mechanic since you could pick and choose which things you wanted to try and do, and which ones you would just spend the points to avoid and unlock them that way. And the art never bothered me. The enemies were all so distinct from one another in their gameplay mechanics that they had more identity than the most lavishly illustrated samey sort of foes you usually see in other games.

Lost Portal was as good as the review indicated. The story is very simplistic and derivative, but to get a whole Magic-ish game with such a cheap cost and no IAP that goes on for hours and hours is not to be diminished.

Of the others, Card City Nights and Five Card Quest sound the most interesting.

TheVimFuego

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks for the summary, for some reason I have completely forgotten to get Dream Quest.

Something I will immediately remedy.

Gameplay over graphics always and I like the devs story.

fatsuperman

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:42 pm

We are preaching to the converted, but I have to agree - Dreamquest is one of the best mobile games I've ever played. It almost sits in it's own genre for me, the changing mechanics as you unlock more (just by playing and losing) are fantastic.

Loved learning that his daughters did the art, they did a better job than I could!

EICJoe

Re: PT Guides: Like... Magic: The Gathering? You'll Love These

Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:03 pm

I dunno guys, I'm starting to get the impression none of you like DreamQuest. Such a shame...
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”