z3alfish

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Why aren't Potion Explosion, 7 Wonders, Smashup and other boardgame titles due this year on the list?

EICJoe

Re:

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:39 pm

marcokpc wrote:So this is the Pocket "Tactics" guideline for 2017.... just so sad.
no mention of any boardgames at all...
i understand (really) that you dont like (or care) about digital adaptation of
boardgames but i think that this was (at least for me) the 'unique' difference between this site and the other numerous site available about digital gaming.

For example the latest posted review is about a game (??) Sunny..(wow what ? 4 star?)
you could review instead Potion explosion but no..lets go with Sunny

and will be not a big surprise considering that is from Asmodee digital your final rating of this game (could i bet on 1 star? :))

and let me just point that i did not post for start any flame war or whatever but just some mine considerations and maybe a little suggestion
just remove "tactics".. Pocket gaming could work just better i believe.

Hello Marco!

I'm sorry you feel that way.

With regards to Potion Explosion specifically - we were not made aware that the game was releasing today. I've requested a review code, but I'm also not against funding a purchase so that we can get a review up on PT in a timely manner. No-one is currently free for the review right now anyway, so I've got time to make that call.

As for the general direction of the site - I apologise if you feel we're straying from the original vision laid out by Owen when he created Pocket Tactics. If there are any board-game games you feel we have let slipped through the cracks, please do let us know and I can get someone to review them as soon as possible. As as I'm aware, we've covered a lot of the board-game type games.

We have also expanded the types of games we cover due to a natural need to expand our audience to survive as an entity. I'm sorry if this upsets you, although with regards to Sonny it's a Tactical RPG, it literally has a turn-based combat mode that requires tactical choice. I'm not sure how that doesn't fit in with the 'Tactics' part of or name, but I'm open to counter-arguments.

In terms of this list, it only features we *know* are coming out in 2017. Through comments there are a few board-game adaptations on the horizon, but bar one exception there are no confirmed 2017 release dates that we're aware of. I decided against putting names on the list just for the sake of it. As soon as we know more, I'll happily update this list with new entries and information - I want this to be a long-term resource for our readers.

You guys know where my email is if you have any suggestions, questions or concerns. You can talk to me at any time :) I always want to hear from readers about their thoughts and worries.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

EICJoe

Re:

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:43 pm

z3alfish wrote:Why aren't Potion Explosion, 7 Wonders, Smashup and other boardgame titles due this year on the list?

Hello!

As I've mentioned elsewhere, there are a couple of factors here, but this is also not a finished article. We will be adding to it as time goes in. Going by comments, it is clear there are bits of information we have missed, so we will be updating these lists shortly, especially with the boardgame stuff.

With regards to Potion Explosion specifically... I mean that's out already, so doesn't make sense to add it to the list now.

We're working on it though :)
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

NICKVIGDAHL

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Here's a quick call out of the intro for those that skimmed and came directly to the comments:

"What follows is a number of intriguing titles that make me very optimistic about the coming year in mobile gaming. There are a lot of games in development of course, but these are the ones I am most looking forward to. As the year rolls on it is our intent to add to this preview as games of particular interest are announced..."

We appreciate the suggestions for things to add later. We especially appreciate it when they are provided constructively. Thanks!

z3alfish

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:40 pm

EICJOE;

Long time fan, rare poster. Thanks for response. I also was surprised Potion Explosion came out today! I am excited to see the 2017 lineup, and hope some of the mentioned boardgame titles make the list for coverage.

Thanks,
Z

raindog308

Re: Pocket Tactics Presents: iOS Guide 2017

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:05 am

I am absolutely outraged that Potion Explosion was not immediately reviewed today and you can expect a call from the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights soon because this is pretty much the worst thing that's ever happened since the Big Bang.

I saw the list and immediately scrolled down to say "hey,PT mentioned in an article last year that PE was coming out soon." And hence, I learned it did come out today, and hence will be able to play it on the plane tomorrow. I'm all about results!

Something extra after the credits: I actually learned about the board game Potion Explosion from the PT mention of it earlier, and the box art was cool enough that I read up on it and it was a hit in our family over Christmas.

I think the site has gone from a filter of topic = 'wargames' to one where wargames is just the center of gravity and I'm OK with that, because there's not enough Panzer Corps and Twilight Struggles out there to fill a site.

Is Potion Explosion a "tactical" game? My 7yo daughter plays the paper version and she hasn't even read von Clausewitz yet. I like reading here about anything that requires analytical thought to play and that is actually a pretty tight filter all by itself.

You start reviewing Pet Dentist and Disney Palace Pets, and I'm gone...

Mysterio

Re: Re:

Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:09 pm

Tamsk wrote:7 Wonders is a... more dubious proposition.

Perhaps no longer!

Tamsk

Re: Pocket Tactics Presents: iOS Guide 2017

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:28 am

Perhaps. If that tease is to do with the mobile app implementation, though, the hashtags they've used certainly don't give any indication of it.

moggylloyd

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Looking forward to several of these games that have yet to arrive. Others not mentioned are Smash Up and Eight Minure Empire which should both be good hopefully. And wasn't there a King of Tokyo digital version mentioned some time? I hope that comes eventually too.

One disappointment is how Kalypso has gone quiet since starting to release mobile games. I'd like to see Tropico one day. In fact, I'd love to see any kind of proper city builder on iOS.

CarlRJ

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:22 pm

No idea how the game will turn out, but the "Dresden Files" series of books by Jim Butcher are really phenomenal. I'm usually not a fan of fantasy, but my wife got me hooked on these (started with the then-new tenth book, "Small Favor", to reel me in, then we went through in series order, skipping book 1 on her recommendation) - she'd read all of them, and we listened to the audiobooks together (most read by James Marsters - Spike from Buffy - who really gets into the stories and voices, despite a few odd pronunciations early on). Got wrapped up enough in these to go to a couple of book signings.

The stories take place in our world and time, but with the idea that magic is real, but goes unseen (or explained away) by most people, and Harry Dresden is a streetwise private detective (and wizard) in Chicago. There's great meta world-building (with complex politics and intrigue), with solid rules by which magic works, and the world and stories all play by these rules (no sudden, "oh, by the way, if I blink my left eye I become invincible"). They're sort of half fantasy / half detective novels. There's wizards and faeries and demons and vampires and werewolves and human crime bosses and Norse gods and... Santa Claus. And Jim Butcher makes it all believable, fun, and engaging.

I'll check out the game with it releases - at best it'll be great, at worst, it'll be a nice trip down memory lane. But in any case, I do highly recommend the books/audiobooks.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”