Rangent

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Not sure whether or not it belongs on this list, but a game thats been in development for a while and is being released some time this year is Albion Online: truly cross-platform MMO. Played it on PC for a bit: it's pretty good but I think it will play best on a mobile device. Either way, if it isn't being followed by Pocket Tactics, it may be worth checking out.

NICKVIGDAHL

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:21 am

No idea how the game will turn out, but the "Dresden Files" series of books by Jim Butcher are really phenomenal. I'm usually not a fan of fantasy, but my wife got me hooked on these (started with the then-new tenth book, "Small Favor", to reel me in, then we went through in series order, skipping book 1 on her recommendation) - she'd read all of them, and we listened to the audiobooks together (most read by James Marsters - Spike from Buffy - who really gets into the stories and voices, despite a few odd pronunciations early on). Got wrapped up enough in these to go to a couple of book signings.

The stories take place in our world and time, but with the idea that magic is real, but goes unseen (or explained away) by most people, and Harry Dresden is a streetwise private detective (and wizard) in Chicago. There's great meta world-building (with complex politics and intrigue), with solid rules by which magic works, and the world and stories all play by these rules (no sudden, "oh, by the way, if I blink my left eye I become invincible"). They're sort of half fantasy / half detective novels. There's wizards and faeries and demons and vampires and werewolves and human crime bosses and Norse gods and... Santa Claus. And Jim Butcher makes it all believable, fun, and engaging.

I'll check out the game with it releases - at best it'll be great, at worst, it'll be a nice trip down memory lane. But in any case, I do highly recommend the books/audiobooks.

100% agreed, especially on the audiobooks with James Marsters. Dresden actually got me interested in the urban fantasy genre, which I've been sampling over the last year or so.

zot23

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Saved the best for last, eh? Put me down for Warhammer Quest 2 and Wartile, they both scratch that pesky turn-based, tile built, fantasy-themed warfare itch.

NICKVIGDAHL

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Saved the best for last, eh? Put me down for Warhammer Quest 2 and Wartile, they both scratch that pesky turn-based, tile built, fantasy-themed warfare itch.

Well, the alphabet did that. :) Wartile is real-time rather than turn-based, but uses a "cool down" system that works pretty well.

Kranzer

Re: Pocket Tactics Presents: iOS Guide 2017

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 am

There is also Realpolitiks Mobile (iOS, Android) by Jujubee studio. It's a modern time grand strategy where player becomes a leader of any contemporary country and it seems to be fun on tablet.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”