TaltosKhan

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:51 am

The only way to get better writing is to keep writing.

Have your writers take their very first and most recent article and critically review them (or have a partner do it). That will help them see the areas they are improving in as well as the weak areas they need to work on.

HumphreyBraggart

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:47 pm

I would like to chime in with regard to Android content. I actually registered specifically to do so.

With the change of the site's ownership there seems to have been a sharp decline in the number of android releases mentioned. Due to this I have paud much less attention to this site. I only check in for "Out Now" in hopes that some decent android titles might be mentioned. I've become more and more disappointed and even less interested in checking in to the point that I was actually thinking I need to look for a new site to check for new releases just as I was coming here to see if "Out Now" had been posted yet.

I'd imagine that this trend of few and far between android mentions has, likewise, made many android users less likely to pay attention to this site. Simply put, it would seem likely that your audience demographic are primarily iOS users because those are the people who you have been primarily catering to. I hadn't even realized you'd run a poll due to my lack of interest, even though I take a look every Friday.

I suppose, if one crunches the numbers, it may appear to make more sense to cater to iOS users (I've certainly not perused your analytics and won't tell you otherwise) but I thought I might point out that these poll results may be somewhat skewed simply based on the content provided.

Thank you for your time. I wish you all success whatever road you take. I may look elsewhere for my purposes but I'll likely continue to drop in at least once a week.

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:17 pm

HumphreyBraggart wrote:I would like to chime in with regard to Android content. I actually registered specifically to do so...

Thanks for contributing Humphrey :) It's always appreciated!

Yes, Android content is something I may have to devote a lot of specific thinking too as we've yet to cater to Android specifically in any meaningful fashion. We usually always mention when a game is available on Android as well as iOS, although typically it's the iOS version we review simply because game companies prefer giving out iOS codes.

Mark and Matt both have Android devices however, so are perfectly capable of reviewing games on Android if we had the code. I'm and Android-only user myself though, so there's definitely room for improvement I think.

So the question I put to you (and any other Android-only readers out there), what specifically would you want from us?

* Multi-Platform reviews done on Android devices first?
* More of an effort to find Android-exclusive content? (If much exists?)
* Android specific features?

I don't feel we can do as much as dedicated Android gaming sites can do, but we can certainly do something!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Dragonglass

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:26 am

I didn't realize you were so limited on the number of articles you can post. This makes it more important to be focused on what this site does best, premium games that entertain without fleecing their consumers. I could not be happier with the course correction!

HumphreyBraggart

Re: Poll Results: Next Steps for Pocket Tactics

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:32 am

So the question I put to you (and any other Android-only readers out there), what specifically would you want from us?

I just remember seeing more Android releases previously (whether exclusive or on both platforms). Perhaps Android development has slowed? It doesn't matter to me if it's exclusive or reviewed on an Android device. I'm only interested in whether I can play it or not. Lol

I understand most games hit iOS first and many ports to Android get held up or even abandoned. Nothing much we can do about that except purchase good games when we see them to support further development.

Thank you for your reply. :-)

Apex

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:02 pm

One thing I should have mentioned in my poll is that I really appreciate the 2017 guides and the end-of-year awards. Those help me anticipate when some quality games come out for my limited gaming budget, and help me pick up something great I may have missed at the end of the year.

Suxel

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm not entirely sure if Pocket Tactics are the ones to blame in regards to Android content. You see I'm an android fanboy myself, and android gamer, but the truth is, that even though Android in general is bigger than iOS, the game quality on android platform is dreadful. Company called GameBench has invited the likes of Samsung, Google, Microsoft, Nvidia to discuss gaming on android, and there's a 41-page long conclusion that can be found here

https://www.gamebench.net/h3fj3438f42jo ... ce_gap.pdf

Unfortunately for us android gamers Metal API eats Vulkan API alive. And so does the android fragmentation. There's more in to that, but the conclusion is simple - gaming on android sucks, and will suck.
Hence why, I keep my XZ Premium as personal phone, but I've swapped Z4 Tablet for iPad Pro 9.7 and seriously gaming is so much better. Games not only look better, but play smoother. I don't know the real reason behind PT decision on android gaming (well I know now, that devs are more likely to give a key for iOS game), but considering that some games run smoother on 5S rather than Galaxy S6 is a bit concerning for a gamer.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”