admin
Site Admin

Out Now: Eight-Minute Edition

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:00 pm

The weekend is upon us ladies and gentlemen, and you know what that means: new games to check out and download.

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/out-now-eight-minute-edition/

LordGek

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:54 pm

I just jumped on board the 8 Minute Empire train once I found out it is far more than a cheesy little Risk clone, but a much more clever area control strategy game.

EICJoe

Re: Out Now: Eight-Minute Edition

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:13 pm

I almost had the chance to play the physical version over the weekend, but we ran out of time to take it for a spin. Interested in seeing what it's like though, hopefully our review will be up by the end of the week.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

LordGek

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm enjoying it. I love how, on the surface, it just looks like yet another Risk clone, but in fact, is a lot more. I find it interesting that for the most part you just have to cohabitate in most regions with your opponents and actually wiping out of enemy troops only occurs pretty rarely and even then, usually just a single army at a time.

You're constantly juggling 3 aspects with each move, dominance of a region (what ever this game calls a single space) by having more units in it than any other opponent, dominance of a continent (what all of these regions of a single land mass combine into, obtained by owning the most regions therein), and points from set collection. As you can only purchase and immediately play 1 card per turn, and both your turns and cash in game are tightly limited, you need to find a card that somehow furthers your dominance or resource set goals, or at least will foil the plans of your opponents ("I'll bet you'd like that ruby card, Joe").

acedout

Re: Out Now: Eight-Minute Edition

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:09 pm

I'll be the first to recommend Minos Strategos. Very much enjoying it. Much more polished that his first game. Not quite up there with 868-HACK etc, but it's well worth taking a look. It's got that 'just one more go' appeal...

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”