admin
Site Admin

I Need A Hero: New Star Realms Expansion Out Now

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:39 pm

White Wizard's excellent Star Realms deck-building game has received a new expansion for the iOS & Android apps – Crisis: Heroes.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/i-need-a-hero/

geigerm

Re: I Need A Hero: New Star Realms Expansion Out Now

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:00 pm

The expansion is definitely $1.99--I purchased it earlier today.

My early impressions: the heroes definitely aren't as random as the events in the last expansion, but I haven't seen them make much impact at all yet. That's probably to be expected for 1- or 2-cost cards. Each hero I've seen is associated with a single faction, but it only triggers its ally effect (plus one other effect, such as a card draw or increased attack) when trashed.

They're not much to write home about, but any excuse for a new tournament sounds good to me ...

LordGek

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:28 pm

@Geigerm
This was exactly my take as well. Each faction gets 2 heroes (1 copy of the more expensive and 2 copies of a more minor/cheaper guy). They're like very minor gambits with a couple of differences, you buy them in-game (once bought they're immediately set aside to be triggered at will) and since they have a faction, you can trigger them to get a same faction's card's extra effect when needed.

EICJoe

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:02 am

I've only ever played the physical version of Star Realms, but I really like it as a two-player experience - relatively quick and paced, although I've found that it can be a bit too easy for someone to get the upper hand and then steam roll. Want to pick up Colony Wars so I can combine and get a four-player going.

Always thought about checking out the mobile versions though, so might have to take the plunge at pay day.

Thanks for the heads up re: price, will update the post now.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com

Narkulus

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:39 am

There is a single player campaign that is free to play and is a good introduction to the game for someone that has not played. Multiplayer is a reasonably priced IAP and I believe it unlocks more campaign. The beauty of this game is IAP purchases are unlocked for all platforms, including Steam.

Private Prinny

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:59 pm

I like the new expansion.
They are not as big of an impact as events or gambits were. Not that big of an expansion, so why the long delay?(grumblegrumblegrumbleherorealmsandchtuhlurealmsgrumblegrumble)

If the crowd would be so inclined I would be more than happy to host yet another PT Star Realms tourney if it can wait till next week (signup) and start the weekend after...right now I have quite a full timetable unfortunately....

robthomasson

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:13 pm

We Need A Hero ...

... and who better than Private_Prinny? Eh?

So I am okay with your schedule, gives time for my current games to play out and make room.

halfvoid

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:54 am

I'm always up for a Star Realms tourney.

(more than likely the delay was them prepping Hero Realms for the kickstarter.)

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”