admin
Site Admin

Review: Warhammer 40,000: Regicide

Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:00 pm

Warhammer 40,000: Regicide takes me back to 1988 and 1996. In ‘88, Battle Chess realized the dream of Dejarik, allowing chess players to watch their pieces murder each other in...

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review/

SleepingGiant

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:18 am

Really? PT gives 5 stars to "a good snowman is hard to build" and 2 stars to regicide?

Private Prinny

Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:37 am

Well...I think that is a fair judgement if you read trough the Review. I havent had time to sink much time into it myself but for the most critical points mentioned I already have met some of them.

A further (minor?) factor of irritaion from my side is that the game is only iOS 9 and above. So I could only install it on my tiny iPhone 6+ *ahem*
As I mostly only game on my iPad this drives the point home of "too small units to spot any details" when I have the time to log onto my iPhone's Regicide. it may have been a game for the niche of a niche in the beginning, but as it stands I stay with Chaos Gate (HD-remake or GTFO)and Space Wolfes for my TBS WH40k needs.

I appreciate the effort and time spent, but the game is in dire need of polish and tinkering.

JammaTal

Re: Review: Warhammer 40,000: Regicide

Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:05 am

thumbs up for Space Wolf ;)

Dusteki

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:16 pm

Combining chess and probability rolls as well as leveling up works very badly. You could build a space marine vs space marine chess game. Or a square based game using probability and different rules without chess moves.

Bob-is-Bob

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:55 pm

I am okay with it being rated at 2 by the reviewer - as he states that it may not be his kettle of fish (nor may he be the intended audience). What I appreciated out of the review was his description of the issues and why he felt they are limiting.

I bought the game and am slowly playing my way through it (while waiting at airports) - I am enjoying it despite the aforenoted issues. While I agree with the points raised within the review - I don't know if I would have rated it a 2 had I reviewed it. It is not a 5 star game - but is it a 3 star or better game - probably not until they clean up a bunch of the noted bugs/issues and upgrade the chess AI portion.

EICJoe

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Bob-is-Bob wrote:I am okay with it being rated at 2 by the reviewer - as he states that it may not be his kettle of fish (nor may he be the intended audience). What I appreciated out of the review was his description of the issues and why he felt they are limiting.

I bought the game and am slowly playing my way through it (while waiting at airports) - I am enjoying it despite the aforenoted issues. While I agree with the points raised within the review - I don't know if I would have rated it a 2 had I reviewed it. It is not a 5 star game - but is it a 3 star or better game - probably not until they clean up a bunch of the noted bugs/issues and upgrade the chess AI portion.

Tof did say to me when they submitted the review that the technical problems specifically knocked off that last star, otherwise it felt like a 3-star game.

It's a difficult one, because bugs etc... do inevitably get fixed, although Tof reckoned it would take more than a couple of updates to make things right here, hence the 2/5. Still, on some level you have to take the product 'as-is', as there a people who have or will buy it in the state it's in.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

tofeklund

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:23 pm

It was a hard call for me: if I'd thought that fixes for some of those issues were coming soon, I'd have asked Joe if I could hold off and see what the update fairy brought. Unfortunately, Regicide has been on iOS since May, and PC since a year before that, and people are having serious problems with crashes and broken multiplayer on all platforms.

SleepingGiant

Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:13 pm

It's possible you are seeing more bugs on Android than I'm seeing on iOS, and I can see how that would knock off a star for you. The AI is weak, hopefully they will update that. I think the campaign is actually pretty fun, as it provides a series of chess-puzzles and gradually introduces new pieces and abilities with a variety of different goals. I like the artwork and the 40k theme, but I understand not everyone does, and the animations do get repetitive quickly. I'd be torn between 3-4 stars, but there was s a lot of subjectivity, so I'm glad you gave this whatever number of stars you felt your experience with the game merited. I suppose the content of the review is more important to readers like me than the total number of stars, although 2 stars would have scared me away from downloading this game if I hadn't already done so.

I guess the constructive feedback behind my initial reaction is that there seems to be a wide range of grading scales used on PT nowadays, depending on the game and reviewer and publisher, whereas they used to feel more uniform. Perhaps that is a natural consequence of adding many new writers and going through some transitions with the site.

On the plus side, I think the writing quality is still excellent, and I'm very happy that the number of reviews and news articles seems to be increasing, making PT more vibrant. Thanks for doing what you do so well and thanks for responding in a totally reasonable way to the post I made in a moment of disbelief.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”