admin
Site Admin

Elder Scrolls: Legends CCG Enters Open Beta

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:31 pm

We're going to try and do a lot more consistent CCG coverage here on Pocket Tactics as time goes on - the rise of Hearthstone has triggered a bit of...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/elder-scrolls-legends-ccg-enters-open-beta/

Mirefox

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:42 pm

I am a sucker for CCGs. I played Magic: The Gathering for well over a decade and even though I haven't played much in the last 10 years, I still buy a few packs from every new set just for the fun of it. I also give most of FFG's LCGs at least a few plays. As for digital CCGs, I've tried just about all of them (note that I don't consider "card games" like those WWE or Mortal Kombat "games" actual CCGs).

That said, I tend to loathe Hearthstone. I think the production gets an A+ and the game does a lot of things right. The game, though, commits the unforgivable (in my opinion) sin of being far, far to reliant on RNG. Power creep also hurts.

Unfortunately, the quality of CCGs in the mobile market isn't at a high point. Solforge took a flying leap off a cliff with a river of laser-wielding crocodiles at the bottom, Magic has continual issues and just can't seem to iron out bugs, Cabals and Earthcore both have interesting premises but include asinine card leveling, which imbalances the games, and the rest seem more focused on milking IAPs than giving good strategy games. In my opinion, the best mobile CCG out there right now is actually Pokemon, which, though having a much younger theme, has always had some good design ideas.

All of this rambling is really just to say that I welcome a serious attempt at a digital CCG and when one finally gets it right, I will be happy to give it my time and money.

biffpow

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Mirefox wrote: I tend to loathe Hearthstone. I think the production gets an A+ and the game does a lot of things right. The game, though, commits the unforgivable (in my opinion) sin of being far, far to reliant on RNG. Power creep also hurts.

I continue to agree with you on this, and I think a lot of PTers who were initially excited about HS feel the same way. The RNG drives me nuts, and Blizz just keeps ramping it up. Yet the decks that rise to the top, that everyone plays, are all as non-dependent on RNG as can be. So I don't get Blizz'a strategy. I came back to HS after Olde Gods, and I play most everyday, but at this point, I'm just saving up gold to trade in for the next expansion (out next week, I believe). One thing HS does right, IMO, is that they keep the card text to a minimum. MTG and its ilk frustrate me with the complex, conditional paragraphs of text. HS has avoided that nicely.

In my opinion, the best mobile CCG out there right now is actually Pokemon, which, though having a much younger theme, has always had some good design ideas.

You kindly tipped me to try the Pokemon CCG months ago, and I have to admit, the production and design values are really high, and the game plays like a dream. It's easy to earn free packs to open, and the games are pretty fast usually. The incessant coin flipping, for me, is the equivalent of HS's RNG, though. Way too much of that. It can allow for low-powered decks (like mine) to make up ground against better decks, but I think it also belies a weakness in the card mechanics. Still, it's quite enjoyable.

All of this rambling is really just to say that I welcome a serious attempt at a digital CCG and when one finally gets it right, I will be happy to give it my time and money.

Seconded! And very glad to see more CCG coverage on PT : )

Mirefox

Re: Elder Scrolls: Legends CCG Enters Open Beta

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:26 pm

@biffpow

Yes, I know it is quite hypocritical of me to complain about RNG and then recommend Pokemon, but for me, at least, there is an intangible difference that I can't really put my finger on or explain, and perhaps it is merely due to the rose-colored glasses I wear regarding the IP. The thing is, there is a lot of coin flipping in Pokemon but a) it's a 50/50 RNG, and b) it thematic with the video game where certain attacks and effects have a 50/50 chance of resolving.

Also, and again for no reason I can explain, losing a coin flip in Pokemon doesn't drive me quite as crazy as some of the completely unpredictable random junk that can happen in Hearthstone.

Mysterio

Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:09 pm

Mirefox wrote:the completely unpredictable random junk that can happen in Hearthstone.

That's one thing I love about Hearthstone. Then again, I'm the type who embraces randomness in games, even though I think the RNG hates me. :D

Private Prinny

Re:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:19 pm

Mirefox wrote:Solforge took a flying leap off a cliff with a river of laser-wielding crocodiles at the bottom

If there was ever a most accurate description of that game - then this is the one.

I was initially excited about HS but I had cooled of on that cnsiderable because too few PVE options and I didn't like the imba-netdecks everyone and his mother were fielding. I haven't started up the game in year(s). Last time was for a brief stint on the iPad release I believe....

I liked the original Pokemon TCG as well as Magic:TCG. The digital version of Pokemon on the Gameboy Color was ok, the new digital version of both M:TG and P:TCG leave me cold however....

LordGek

Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:54 pm

I almost got back into the Pokemon CCG recently but then was awoken to aspects that really annoyed me. While the Pokeon CCG definitely does allow you to create your own decks, it isn't a game you can kind of wing with whatever collection of random cards you might have gained from the random pack you get every few days of intense free play. Each of your dudes has a very specific evolutionary path so if you want to include any evolutionary line of beasty in your deck you better have multiples of ALL of his specific incarnations. At least in Magic or something you could hobble together a competent red/green deck with whatever dribs and drabs you'd collected so far as long as there was a decent mana balance. Sure, ideally you'd want to include 2-4 copies of favorite cards to ensure key combinations but you could at least start with a rough incarnation of the later idea you were shooting for right off.

riotgirl

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:48 am

I've jumped off the CCG model for good. I will still play MtG 2013 digital ed, but that is about as far as it goes. LoTR LCG allows for deck construction in a LoTR narrative, satisfying both itches. Since it is co-op / solo, it avoids the pitfalls of competitive LCGs in terms of rivalling CCG costs.

That said, I will be picking up Legend of the Five Rings LCG next year.

I love the self-contained nature of LCGs. Quite why we do not have digital editions of LCGs is beyond me.

Interesting comments regarding RNG in CCG. I share PP's observation that CCG players by and large attempt to reduce the affect of RNG via deck construction to achieve consistency and predictability of how decks play. I would be pissed if I had spent time and effort to construct a deck based on a specific strategy and it was undermined by a form of RNG other than card draw.

riotgirl

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:50 am

Bah. It was Biffpows observation - not PP.

raketemensch

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:11 pm

I still have 5-6 games of Ascension:COTG and Star Realms going at all times. I keep trying new things as they come out, and fairly quickly deleting them.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”