admin
Site Admin

Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy is coming to Android (and Mac, PC)

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:27 pm

Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy is finally coming to Android! This digital adaptation of critically acclaimed boardgame Eclipse enjoyed a rather successful iOS release back in 2013.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/eclipse-new-dawn-for-the-galaxy-is-coming-to-android-and-mac-pc/

geigerm

Re: Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy is coming to Android (and Mac, PC)

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:46 pm

I wish BDC had put their time into making the multiplayer better, not bringing the same mediocre MP system to multiple platforms.

halfvoid

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:48 pm

Hopefully they implement a "What's happened since your last turn" summary that's been sorely missing from the iOS version. A really obvious missing feature compared to other asynchronous games.

b005t3r

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:55 pm

geigerm wrote:I wish BDC had put their time into making the multiplayer better, not bringing the same mediocre MP system to multiple platforms.

And we did :) We did the whole multiplayer from scratch using a third-party service - GameSparks. Should be more robust, but even more importantly, it should be more flexible and extendable. One big change is a normal AI (instead of the one which was just skipping turns) would take over after a player leaves. Battles can also be set as automatic (a default setting) for online games, which makes things a lot quicker. Apart from that we're now using social media accounts for signing in (or Google Play/GameCenter/Steam), so registering a new account with email and password combo is not required (no more forgotten passwords).

anto

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:09 pm

That's great news, looking forward to it! I assume it will be for tablets only?

b005t3r

Re:

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:11 pm

anto wrote:That's great news, looking forward to it! I assume it will be for tablets only?

Yes, Android tablets only. However we'd like to make it available for bigger phones as well. Still not sure if this would be possible, need to dive a bit deeper into those Google Play developer pages.

halfvoid

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Even for the biggest phones, you'd need to tweak the UI / make buttons and text bigger.

For games like Pathfinder which wasn't locked down to tablets only on Android, but has a definite tablet UI, reading the text and tapping buttons are sometimes a pain.

b005t3r

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:37 pm

OK, noted! To be honest, on my Moto X Style only a couple of thins are too small (new techs and ship parts) and it's not the biggest Android phone out there. It would probably be comfortable to play with a stylus or somethings like that, but maybe it's just me :)

geigerm

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:41 pm

b005t3r wrote:And we did :)

Well, that's good news! Will the iOS app get the updated multiplayer system? And does the new MP keep track of what's happened since the last turn in any way? In games we've played here, we've basically had to create our own game logs through forum threads. Having something like that in the app would be a very, very welcome change.

b005t3r

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:52 pm

iOS version will get the new MP as well.

As for the last turn replay feature, I'm pretty sure we had it on iOS in the early days, but more people wanted it off than on :) I think we'll have to add some sort of switch for this in the menu, to make everyone happy :)

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”