Site Admin

Opinion: Purify Is Not The Worst Card Ever (It's Just Not Great)

Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:00 pm

Up till now, the Hearthstone fan community have largely been a stable and satisfied bunch, eagerly awaiting the next round of cards from Blizzard. ... not-great/

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:38 pm

Thank you. Interesting to get some insight into bits of higher-level strategy. This post reminds me that I really ought to play Hearthstone more.

Re: Opinion: Purify Is Not The Worst Card Ever (It's Just Not Great)

Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:26 pm

I think I've expressed my dislike for the game enough around here, but this isn't really a Hearthstone-only issue.

In any CCG, no matter how thorough the play testing, there will invariably be some cards that are better than expected and some that are stinkers. It happens with just about every expansion for every card game.

On top of that, yes, it stinks that the worst class got a bad card but what, exactly, were people expecting? Every priest card to be OP?

I don't get the issue here.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:32 am

Every class got new cards, but it's pretty much accepted that Priest has been the weakest class for a while now. In a recent interview, the producer of Hearthstone said "as a priest player I embrace the underdog status".

I think players were reasonably expecting that the new expansion would be a good time to help balance things out. Instead, one of the new cards they got is very underpowered. There are just flat out better cards that can be used in just about any deck.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:09 am

I tend to agree with Metakirby's explanation for the outrage over this card. And I would go a step farther and say that a card like Purify seems especially bad because various other class cards from the new expansion are so clearly likely to be useful. Some classes are getting cards that give them an obvious boost, and that's great. It's just that Priest needed a boost more than others.

And Matt's right--there are worse cards than Purify in the game. It's not the worst card ever. Though I don't know why Bliz didn't just allow the card to silence -any- minion. Then it would be useful, and at 2 cost, feel like a real boost for the class.

As to the statistical point that's being quoted everywhere from Mike Donais about there being only a 5% win difference between the best and worst classes, that stat isn't exclusive to ladder play, nor is it exclusive to standard. As stated, it includes Wild and Arena, and I wonder if it includes Tavern Brawls as well. I'd like to see a stat for standard ladder play-only win rates.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Like I said in the other thread, take out the word "friendly" and the card is just fine. Very useful in fact. Why don't they just do that and move on?

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:27 pm

@ZOT23 The hearthstone team has repeatedly said that they want to restrict silence effects. Basically, the text on cards are what make them fun and interesting and blizzard wants to limit the ability of silence effects. That's why they nerfed ironbeak.

Priest in a strange class. It's hero power generally tends to make it a defensive and reactive class. I would argue that it's hero power is one of the best in the game. The main problem is that it has really bad early game minions and it's forced to be reactive up through the mid game. With the lack of early game, priest is forced to rely on good draws to find their early reactive board clears. If they don't find those they just fall too far behind and die. But imagine if priest were given really strong early game minions. Let's say imp gang boss was a priest card. They could play that card and trade with weaker minions, heal it back up, and generate tokens without having to play more cards. This would allow priest generate early tempo and card advantage. I think priest is one of the hardest classes to balance because if they have really strong early minions they would be unstoppable.

Re: Opinion: Purify Is Not The Worst Card Ever (It's Just Not Great)

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:06 am

@Univac: You make a really good point--If Priest could actually get some good early minion out to heal, it would be able to use its hero power more aggressively (rather than defensively) to hold the board and be hard to stop. I can see the new Arcane Anomaly playing into that a little bit. But it would need more than that. Shieldbearer has potential if its attack could quickly be made to match its defense. The problem too is that removal and boost spells play heavily into its curve.

Your thoughts also make me wonder whether Sir Finley is what's needed--just change Priest's power and run something more aggressive. But with only one Sir Finely per deck, it's a bit unreliable.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”