admin
Site Admin

Apple to Start Cleaning Up App Store - Will Remove 'Problematic' Apps

Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:06 pm

Yesterday we posted up the first part in a two-part series Kelsey has been working on regarding the challenges of preserving digital content.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/apple ... atic-apps/

Mirefox

Re: Apple to Start Cleaning Up App Store - Will Remove 'Problematic' Apps

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:29 pm

I saw news on TouchArcade and the reaction was mixed. Many users seem to think that some of their older gems will suddenly disappear, and while I understand the sentiment, in my opinion, if an app is no longer functional and not receiving support, I have no problem with the store removing it.

Actually, I view the app store as a rat-infested building; I think the better solution is to burn it to the ground and build from scratch, but I saw that merely as a consumer.

MetaKirby

Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:00 am

I approach the issue quite differently. If I know an app hasn't been upgraded to be compatible with the latest version of iOS, my solution is not upgrade iOS. I'm still running an older version of 8.x on my iPad 4.

As a long time user of Microsoft DOS/Windows, where backward compatibility and/or emulation solutions have allowed me to continue to play content released in the 80s and 90s, I struggle a bit with Apple's approach. On the surface I understand the logic to keeping the OS/app ecosystem more straight forward, yet despite all of the complaints about fragmentation on Google Android, applications really aren't any more stable on iOS. Looking at reviews on popular applications, the negative ones are always very similar in terms of crashes and features not working on their device. So in the end does Apple forcing developers to provide updates really buy us anything?

biffpow

Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:25 am

I approach the issue quite differently. If I know an app hasn't been upgraded to be compatible with the latest version of iOS, my solution is not upgrade iOS. I'm still running an older version of 8.x on my iPad 4.
I am doing exactly this same thing for the same reason.

Of course, my ipad is a 95% gaming-only device for me, so it's not as though I need to upgrade the ios--most of the updates do nothing for me.

I also do not understand Apple's constant ios updates--it makes no sense to me. If they left the ios alone for a year and dropped a huge update, a) it would be event-type news, b) it would be more impressive to users, and c) users would be much more prone to update and developers more able to update on schedule.

Apple's incessant "reminders" about updating my ios are highly annoying, and I would gladly buy an app that made them go away forever.

Private Prinny

Re:

Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:09 pm

TL, DR:
First World problems of an "Collector" with this events

Same thing for me.
iPad Air runs on the latest iOS 8.x
iPhone 6 runs on current iOS 9.x

That has bitten me only on 2 games so far which are iPad only games and need iOS 8.
I was musing over getting a cheap iPad mini for pure luxurious convenience sake. Many older non-universal RPGs use the upscale option when played on an iPad with mixed results. I like me some twin-stick shooters/ virtual controls rpgs but I am a bit conflicted here. I don't like to play on the phone's tiny screen while twinstick/virtual control games have the tendency totire me out on the iPad due to bad placement of controls (trough upscaling). So these games would be perfect on an iPad Mini as it combines the best of two worlds.....however with the lingering danger of iOS 9 and 10 as well as this new nightmare I am directly heading into panic mode. Its worse enough that developers themselfes take the games down without further notice (Zenonia 2, Chaos Rings 1 and 2) but now Apple as well?

Sure people have the right to complain about non-updated games but why not let old iOS gamers not have their stuff? What about collectors? I went on a shopping frenzy yesterday to at least finish my Kemco RPG Collection. Maybe it was an unnecessary waste of money in the light of current events but I wanted at least to collect them all (playing/finishing them all will be an impossible task after all).

My Appshopper wishlist is about ~250 bucks worth of games waiting to be collected "later" but I fear that there will be some sad stories down the road here. Tons of "Choice of..", Gamebook Adventures, etc still to be purchased....gnaaa...

Why not do it like Steam did with Fallout 3? Slap a big warning disclaimer like their "Game not optimized for Win7 won't run!" on the iTunes Shop page and let the user decide if they want to throw money at them. Supporting Devs? Collectors collecting?

Troubling Times indeed!

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”