Site Admin

CCG Week: Faeria

Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Oh, the anxiety and ecstasy of influence. You can see it etched into Abrakam’s CCG-boardgame Faeria.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:28 pm

Excellent read, thank you Tof.

I really like the hybrid aspect of both Faeria & Duelyst. The tactical placement and movement within them also harkens to Summoner Wars. Both Faeria & Duelyst offer puzzles - typically "win in x moves" as per a chess problem - to add to the variety and challenge and (more so in Duelyst) to reveal/teach some of the subtleties of the game.

When they reach iOS I will need to learn how to survive on fewer hours sleep.

Re: CCG Week: Faeria

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:25 am

I kickstarted Faeria ages ago, so I've seen a lot of that progression as well.

I think it was originally intended to be a paid game (price of a starter deck as an entry fee), but they scrapped that model about a year after Hearthstone's release and adopted a system similar to Blizzards CCG behemoth. Instead of giving us kickstarters the equivalent of a starter deck, they gave us ALL the cards. All of them.

I've never in my life had the experience of being able to make any possible deck in a CCG, and admittedly most of mine are still crap, but fun to play.

I feel it will hold it's own in the future, especially with the land placement mechanic.

I'd probably be playing it more if I hadn't been sucked in by the Elder Scrolls CCG the last few weeks. (and now the new Ascension expansion.)

Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:25 pm

I really think the Faeria team are approaching the game with an amazing spirit of community-building. It's encouraging, I hope it pays off for them in a big way.

At present Faeria and Duelyst are the CCGs I'm most interested in. Between the two, Duelyst has a much more original style and interesting setting (Faeria's weak spots), but Faeria's map is more interesting than Duelyst's empty battle mat, and Faeria is the clear winner in game mode options (especially single-player).

All opinions my own, as always.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:46 am

Nice article and summary, however I have to point out the Pox Nora did the board + CCG thing long long ago now (2006).

The novelty of "playing the board" is pretty unique to Faeria in my experience, however in other regards it's pretty standard. Card design from my limited experience wasn't as interesting as it is in Duelyst or was in Pox Nora (which was a seriously good game for a while, despite the technical issues and later ownership and design issues).

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”