admin
Site Admin

Hard Truths - Some Games Aren't Meant for Mobile

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:00 pm

The game I've spent the most hours on in my life is Angband. It's an old school Tolkien-themed, open source Roguelike.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/hard-truths-some-games-arent-meant-for-mobile/

Mirefox

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:25 pm

I, too, loved Angband back in the day. It is good to hear it mentioned.

Another Roguelike that I quite enjoyed was called Ragnarok. It put a graphical overlay on the traditional Rogue design. It may have been a terrible game, I don't remember, but I still have fond memories or playing.

That said, I feel that those games were products of their times and have since been made obsolete by more modern Roguelike designs.

mattDP

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Actually I don't think modern Rogue-likes have necessarily superceded their older counterparts. At least not in terms of depth and game play. The only recent one which has come close to the sheer narrative and tactical joy of Angband and its ilk is FTL which is pretty complex by modern standards.

The question is more whether the steep learning curves are worthwhile for the rewards on offer. To which the answer is much more ambivalent.

Mirefox

Re:

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:43 pm

mattDP wrote:Actually I don't think modern Rogue-likes have necessarily superceded their older counterparts. At least not in terms of depth and game play. The only recent one which has come close to the sheer narrative and tactical joy of Angband and its ilk is FTL which is pretty complex by modern standards.

The question is more whether the steep learning curves are worthwhile for the rewards on offer. To which the answer is much more ambivalent.

Yes, you said it better than I. I didn't necessarily mean that they have been surpassed on all levels, just that when I can pick up and play games like Crowntakers, Sproggiwood, Crypt of the Necrodancer, FTL, Out There, etc. as nauseum on my phone or tablet, I do not have the motivation to play traditional Roguelike designs.

GwaR

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:50 pm

Yes, I feel the same way about fast-paced FPSs on mobile. I love my iPad and I love a good FPS, but I have yet to play a good FPS on my iPad. I simply don't enjoy them, due mainly to the control issues. If I took the time to get a MIFI controller working, then maybe the problem would be remedied, but I can't be bothered with that sort of thing most of the time.

So, I play the good FPSs on my PC or X1 and spend more time on strategy or puzzle games on my iPad. Who knows, one day someone may figure it out, but I highly doubt it.

jasta07

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:14 am

I still don't know why people keep trying to port PC roguelikes to mobile keystroke for maddening keystroke when a perfect example of how to do it is available for FREE (code and all!) in the sublime Pixel Dungeon. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... xeldungeon)

Other than its neverending ports and versions, nobody seems to have taken the formula and really built upon it. (at least not on Android anyway).

As an aside... why Watabou never charged for the game will be one of the great mysteries.

Fastspinecho

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:25 am

If you think playing Nethack can't be an excellent experience on modern mobile devices, then you clearly haven't tried Pathos.

And you really should. It's Nethack for mobile, it's free, it's on iOS and Android, and its near-perfect interface refutes your entire article.

Garion

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:17 am

Nothing hurts as much as poor porting from PC to mobile! At least if you payed for it and feel deceived!

Thanks for this article and raising this topic!

That's exactly why we created our own studio: http://strangematter.co/ We believe there's a way to create games that offer the same experience on Mobile and PC. In fact we develop our project simultaneously on both platforms, getting inspiration from video games as well as from board games and table-top RPGs.

I believe we're on the right path, somewhere between casual gaming and PC-hardcore gaming...

Blanchot

Re:

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:52 pm

Fastspinecho wrote:If you think playing Nethack can't be an excellent experience on modern mobile devices, then you clearly haven't tried Pathos.

And you really should. It's Nethack for mobile, it's free, it's on iOS and Android, and its near-perfect interface refutes your entire article.

Reading this thread I was about to bring up Pathos: Nethack Codex... Happily you did first! I 100% agree.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”