admin
Site Admin

Out Now: Nick's First Try Edition

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:30 pm

It might be winter, but things are starting to heat up on the 2017 mobile gaming scene.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/out-now-nicks-first-try-edition/

biffpow

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:30 pm

Great update, Nick : ) Tof who? Kidding...

Voyageur looks fantastic--looking forward to grabbing that this weekend when I have time.

Neo42

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:39 pm

When will video games stop using rock/paper/scissors? I have literally no respect for it. At least for when it's so blatant.

There's an element of it in Fire Emblem Heroes, for instance, but not only barely. And it's not random/blind. It's just that certain classes in the game are better at hitting other classes. And you have full awareness even before the battle of which classes will be in the battle so you can choose classes better suited at taking those classes down.

Super mario color splash has rock paper scissors arenas, which are pretty lame.

Duranki

Re:

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:02 pm

biffpow wrote:Great update, Nick : ) Tof who? Kidding...

Voyageur looks fantastic--looking forward to grabbing that this weekend when I have time.

Did you get to spend any time with Voyageur, over the weekend? This is on my radar, but feedback on the TA forums has been mixed.

EICJoe

Re: Re:

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:31 am

Duranki wrote:

Did you get to spend any time with Voyageur, over the weekend? This is on my radar, but feedback on the TA forums has been mixed.

Full review is on the way, it will be published tomorrow.

Spoiler - it seems pretty good.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com

biffpow

Re: Re:

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:55 pm

Duranki wrote:

I did, but not enough time to really say whether it's a must-buy or not. It's a pretty deep overall narrative from what I can tell, though the individual character runs feel a little short honestly. The production values are very strong--it wasn't glitchy for me and is cleanly designed and easy to look at. I'd guess I played for maybe 2-3 total hours, and I feel as though I'm really still scratching the surface of the over-arching narrative possibilities, which is a plus, of course, but the cycling of character runs starts to feel repetitive and a bit random, as far as the encounters and such. The writing/plot is not Asimov, but it is good and sometimes quite interesting.

I can't really tell how much the stat increases to your character matter. They seem like they should have an impact more than it feels like they do, if that makes sense. Unlocking traits and figuring out what they do is fun, and if your mind isn't a sieve (like mine), you can carry that knowledge through to new runs as you make choices. I guess I wish mostly that it was a little more rpg-ish and the characters lasted longer, with more meaningful npcs to interact with. But that's not what they're going for here, I think.

In all, it's hard not to compare it to Out There, which is, I think a better game, but also harsher. There's resource management here like in OT, but you never really feel as though you're barely making it from one jump to the next. OT's plot also feels much bigger. Though as I wrote, I still feel as though I'm scratching Voyageur's surface--or maybe I hope I am?

I look forward to the review here!

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”