admin
Site Admin

Review: Congo Merc

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Congo Merc (CM) is not your typical HexWar title. For one thing, it doesn’t have hexes.

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-congo-merc/

Bernardo Soares

Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:51 am

Bummer. I'm reading up on Congolese history at the moment, and there is a lot of potential in simulating such a seemingly chaotic situation as the Congo in the 1960s. I mean, they could have included Che Guevara, South African and Rhodesian mercenaries, Ex-Nazis (look up "Congo M??ller"), armed Belgian settler militias, Mobutus army, and so much more. The Simba rebels were also a rather fragmented group of fighters, far from politically united.

Also, letting you play only mercenaries in only a strategic setting, in a war which is infamous for mercenary brutality, just rubs me the wrong way.

uncajerf

Re:

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:24 am

Bernardo Soares wrote:Bummer. I'm reading up on Congolese history at the moment, and there is a lot of potential in simulating such a seemingly chaotic situation as the Congo in the 1960s. I mean, they could have included Che Guevara, South African and Rhodesian mercenaries, Ex-Nazis (look up "Congo M??ller"), armed Belgian settler militias, Mobutus army, and so much more. The Simba rebels were also a rather fragmented group of fighters, far from politically united.

Also, letting you play only mercenaries in only a strategic setting, in a war which is infamous for mercenary brutality, just rubs me the wrong way.

Hi, Bernardo,

Thanx for reading and commenting. Yes, there are all kinds of directions the setting could take a game. Yet, CM it is what it is: a $5 port of what is essentially a game meant for a hand-held -- which, although I don't have any experience with them, I suspect are not exactly capable of simulating broad political conflicts et al. Perhaps some other developers are reading, though, and become inspired by your suggestion. ;)

Thanx again!

JRR

Bernardo Soares

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:42 am

Hi JRR, thanks for answering. I didn't know this was on mobile first; though, thinking of Commander: the Great War or Vietnam '65, there are mobile titles (though developed for PC first, I think) that don't shy away from complexity, one on a grand strategy scale and the other on a micro level.

Bismarck

Re:

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Bernardo Soares wrote:Hi JRR, thanks for answering. I didn't know this was on mobile first; though, thinking of Commander: the Great War or Vietnam '65, there are mobile titles (though developed for PC first, I think) that don't shy away from complexity, one on a grand strategy scale and the other on a micro level.

Too right. Hexwar found a milk vow with this system a,d will milk it for all its worth.
Jim Cobb

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”