admin
Site Admin

Review: Faeria

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Faeria by ABRAKAM Entertainment recently completed its beta run and officially released on Steam and iPad.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-faeria/

NB: The lack of a score is not an omission this time - please see the bottom of the review for the full explanation.

EICJoe

Re: Review: Faeria

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Editor’s Note: Faeria had several issues on iPad devices during its launch period, some of which seem to have been fixed by an update released on Thursday 9th March. Nick played the game on an iPad Pro and didn’t experience anything related to crashing, but did get errors relating to client freezes & forced restarts. The official word from Abrakam is that the iPad client should be stable now, but feel free to post here if you're still getting issues, we'll be sure to pass them along!

Because of the quick post-launch patch and after consultation with Abrakam themselves, we decided to decouple any notes & comments on the iPad client from the main body, as we don't expect these problems to persist. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com

Mirefox

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 pm

I was all set to love this game; on paper, it is just about everything I want in a CCG. Yet when I started playing, I got bored quickly. Maybe it is the over-saturation of CCGs on the market, but I felt like I had seen this all before. Yes, the board-building is fairly uncommon, but those cards could have been copy and pasted from other CCGs, including Hearthstone. I'm sure I'll fire it up every once in a while, but this game did not grab me out of the gate, and this day and age a game needs to do that.

Though it isn't collectible, I'd still play Summoner Wars over this in a heartbeat; that game almost perfects the movement-based card game mechanics.

EICJoe

Re:

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:42 pm

Mirefox wrote:I was all set to love this game; on paper, it is just about everything I want in a CCG. Yet when I started playing, I got bored quickly. Maybe it is the over-saturation of CCGs on the market, but I felt like I had seen this all before. Yes, the board-building is fairly uncommon, but those cards could have been copy and pasted from other CCGs, including Hearthstone. I'm sure I'll fire it up every once in a while, but this game did not grab me out of the gate, and this day and age a game needs to do that.

Though it isn't collectible, I'd still play Summoner Wars over this in a heartbeat; that game almost perfects the movement-based card game mechanics.

I think the term "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" springs to mind here. There's only so many ways you can design a card I feel, especially in an environment like. Hearthstone's presentation is simple, clear and functional so I imagine it's not easy trying to re-invent that wheel.

I remember when Paradox Interactive released a game called Warlock 2 - it had a Civilization-like design but was more narrative driven and was grounded in fantasy (and wasn't about progressing through time-periods). Their UI could almost have been a copy/paste of Civilization V's, and I seem to remember them saying that there was little point in changing that because it was incredible functional. Also, you can't copyright a UI, apparently.

I get what you mean though :) Games only really get one first impression.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com

Sponge

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:36 am

Love this game and the innovation and depth it has brought to the stale CCG scene. I've been playing since before the release and I know a lot drop out before they get to grips with the subtleties, flow and evolution of each game, but it is worth sticking in there. I've never had such nail biting games as when playing this. The huge difference that puts this game ahead of the crowd for me is you hold your key cards, and save your faeria up until you think you can play a turn that will put you at an advantage. Strategy is fluid, tactics are complex, games are fun and refreshing. Get over the learning curve, and get used to a slower more strategic pace, and you will love it too.
Hit me up in game if you need help, IGN: Sponge.

Hoping the niggles they are having on the ipad get sorted soon, but I suspect the apple modification turnaround time means some patience required. The PC/linux versions are slick. However to give my review some balance, the game does need a sponge creature card. Just saying.

Discostallion

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:36 pm

I really liked the focus of this review. Well done.

Neo42

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:43 pm

I quite enjoy Faeria. But, for me it's 4 out of 5 stars. Why? I can't play it while offline.

acedout

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:51 am

I've had this game on Steam for a long while now and never really got into it. Since the iPad version (albeit still crashy), I've been loving it. There is a lot of depth and the reward system seems more generous that its obvious counterparts.

Highlight recommend giving this one a go. Once you understand the mechanics, it will really start to grow on you.

The latest iPad version is far more stable, but it's not happy unless you have a really stable Wifi connection. It still crashes on occasion, but it does a better job in terms of reconnecting now.

I think after another couple of fix iterations, it'll be smashing. Meantime, I'm very much back into playing on my Mac.

Sjeng

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:06 am

Use these 2 codes to redeem 2x 4 chests in the ingame shop. (Not sure if they are still valid.)

FaeriaKripp
KrippFaeria

acedout

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:15 am

Sjeng wrote:Use these 2 codes to redeem 2x 4 chests in the ingame shop. (Not sure if they are still valid.)

FaeriaKripp
KrippFaeria

Thank you!!! They both work :)

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”