admin
Site Admin

Review: Tokaido

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Five years after Tokaido’s original release, its digital analogue is finally here. This game was designed by Antoine Bauza, of Ghost Stories, Hanabi, and 7 Wonders fame.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-tokaido/

raindog308

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Bored out of my mind.

If this had jaw-dropping graphics, fascinating character interactions, or some quirky cultural experience I could see it working. There's a market for low-intereaction games with a powerful sense of wonder.

But man, this isn't it. Graphics are average and so you're left to enjoy the gameplay which is...nonexistent?

It feels like a roll-the-dice, move-your-mice game. There may be some minor points of strategy but it's just moving along the track and even if you win...so what? There's no sense of accomplishment. We all got together and played a game and I won. Great.

I just didn't find a reason to go back to it...and I think even if you really liked it, you'd soon grow bored once you'd been through it a few times because there isn't anything new. I'd totally be OK with average graphics if there's good gameplay...but there isn't.

I played on an iPad Pro so didn't see any smoothness issues or bugs...they would have been a pleasant distraction...

alexsem6

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:40 am

Bored out of my mind.

If this had jaw-dropping graphics, fascinating character interactions, or some quirky cultural experience I could see it working. There's a market for low-intereaction games with a powerful sense of wonder.

But man, this isn't it. Graphics are average and so you're left to enjoy the gameplay which is...nonexistent?

It feels like a roll-the-dice, move-your-mice game. There may be some minor points of strategy but it's just moving along the track and even if you win...so what? There's no sense of accomplishment. We all got together and played a game and I won. Great.

I just didn't find a reason to go back to it...and I think even if you really liked it, you'd soon grow bored once you'd been through it a few times because there isn't anything new. I'd totally be OK with average graphics if there's good gameplay...but there isn't.

I played on an iPad Pro so didn't see any smoothness issues or bugs...they would have been a pleasant distraction...

Wow. I thought I was the only one who disliked this board game.
Just at the first glance it seemed to me that this game is very unbalanced and luck based. You only get a sense of competitiveness at the end of the game when you count the victory points. Other than that - you just visit locations and grab cards with little to none interaction with other players.

Also I heavily disliked the fact that when one character is visiting some location this location is blocked for other players. This leaves a great opportunity for jerk-play (which is basically the only "strategy element" available in this game).

G Mahler

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:27 am

How the heck were you even able to play it on your iPad 4 as I was never even able to get it to load? And take this as a grain of salt for now but, over at BGG, it was mentioned in the comments that FunForge stated the next update will make the iPad 4 incompatible anyway.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”