admin
Site Admin

Review: Ticket to Earth

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Not so long ago it appeared that every passenger on every bus and every train was glued to the sticky sugar rush addiction of Candy Crush.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-ticket-to-earth/

Hustlertwo

Re: Review: Ticket to Earth

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:06 pm

I bought this last month after being intrigued by it in your article about independent developers. I agree that it is quite well-made, but still disagree with the rating. Six hours might be overstating it; I would say 4-5 at best. And that is including all the optional Justice missions (I even replayed a couple to get enough tokens for abilities I was eyeing; the upgrade system, like the rest of the game, is well-designed and keeps you engaged). If you just did the main story content you could clear this game in about 2 hours! At that price tag, it just is not OK. I am glad to hear the updates will be free, but if we have to judge it as it stands now there just is not enough content. It's like plopping down $4 to rent a movie (yes, I am old enough to remember physically renting movies, shut your face) and finding out it was just the first episode of a miniseries.

Still, as bummed as I was I do agree it is a solid 4 star game, since everything else is top notch and both gameplay and plot leave me excited for episodes 2-4.

Narkulus

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:05 am

When I saw that headline, I was so hyped about a Ticket to Ride game with spaceships...and then the disappointment set in.

jasta07

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:24 am

Please, please, please at least mention if a game is coming to Android or not. I understand IOS is always going to get the lion's share of news and new releases but throw us a bone here and there.

Mooro

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:21 am

I love this game. It is one of the best iOS games I have played in a while. I have completed all the levels, all the objectives and all the missions and I am still going back in to replay levels just for the fun of it. I bought the game for €4 and already feel I have gotten more than my money's worth out of it. The promise of 3 more free episodes is a massive plus. I have spent up to €80 for console games in the past so €4 for 4 hours of gaming is a bargain.

Dripgrind

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:10 am

"incredulous as it may sound"? No, it sounds incredible, and that makes you feel incredulous.

Also, the use of commas in this article is terrible. This used to be a well-written site, until you hired an editor who can't write himself.

raindog308

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:54 am

Hustlertwo wrote:If you just did the main story content you could clear this game in about 2 hours! At that price tag, it just is not OK.

Agree - I was done with it just as I thought I'd come out of the early beginner/tutorial part. There's only a few missions once you get past the learning stage.

I couldn't give the game 5 stars. It's too incomplete. 4 stars assuming we get the rest of the content, or 1 star if not...it really is a tragically short game at the moment.

I also found the writing rather uneven and not that interesting...I started skipping the cut scenes towards the end.

Hustlertwo

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Yeah, if the update doesn't come it'll be the Galactic Keep debacle all over again. I am sure that second module is coming any day now...

EICJoe

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:21 am

Hey guys!

Thanks for your feedback, I'll take this all under advisement. Matt's rather new so there's room to improve.

Regarding the score - I tend to not interfere too much with that. At the end of the day it's mean't to abstractly quantify an opinion. My golden rule is that the words should support the score, so that someone reads an article and this is not surprised by what they see at the end.

If you guys think it's high (and FWIW, even I thought it may have been a tad generous), then that's fair enough but there will always be outliers.

This used to be a well-written site, until you hired an editor who can't write himself.

I've said time and again 'Editing' on the more technical end of the scale isn't really my strong suit. I like to think I know how to write to make it entertaining and that's where most of my editing duties focus. But yeah, you're going to see errors and the like in my writing. I'm also less likely to catch those things in other people's writing (although I do catch them). I will always strive to do better.

Kelsey and Dave were very good at that and I'm not, but that's why I've hired Nick and a few others who also have better technical skills than me. I also try to not do as much writing here as the other websites: I know you guys are used to a certain level, and I will do my best to deliver that one way or another.

I also have to balance the realities of running a website like this, and ultimately I believe in giving newer writers a chance. If this isn't enough for you then you can enjoy more of Dave and Kelsey's (and even Tof's and Alex's) writing over on Stately Play.

But if you still have some appreciation for what we do here and are willing to stick around, then I'd like to say thank you for your patience and patronage.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”