admin
Site Admin

Pocket Tactics Presents: A Guide to Xiangqi

Thu May 25, 2017 2:28 pm

It may be impossible to guess which game is the most popular in the world, but the Chinese variant of chess, Xianqi (roughly, Shiang-tchi), likely the most popular game in...

http://www.pockettactics.com/guides/pocket-tactics-presents-a-guide-to-xiangqi/

DotComCTO

Thu May 25, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm a big fan of xiangqi (??????), and you're right, there aren't that many great options for solo mobile play - especially for people learning to play. That said, there is one iOS app that comes to mind: "Chinese Chess (Xiangqi)" by Easy 8 Software. This is the link (and no, I'm not affiliated with the developer in any way): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chinese ... 43414?mt=8

I'd also recommend the series of books by David H. Li, which starts with "First Syllabus on Xiangqi: Chinese Chess 1". There are a total of 5 books in the series. The first book provides details on playing the game, and the subsequent books focus on strategies for each of the other main pieces (e.g., cannon, horse, etc). Books 3-5 are much harder to find, but the first two books are pretty easy to track down. That said, the first book will be what most starting players will want anyway.

DotComCTO

Thu May 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Oh well, the forums don't seem to accept Chinese character. :-)

joem

Tue May 30, 2017 1:26 am

Thanks for the article... I wish more people knew (and knew how to play). I really love Xianqi and I quite prefer it to standard Chess. I'm not strong at either, but I have a lot more fun with Xianqi.

I was hoping you'd uncover some awesome Xianqi app that I hadn't heard of, but alas, I already knew about these from my last search of the app store. I've always had a suspicion that there must be a really good, solid Chinese app for this, but not being able to read the language makes it hard to look for and test such apps. I guess I'll stick with HOXChess.

EICJoe

Re:

Tue May 30, 2017 8:37 am

joem wrote:Thanks for the article... I wish more people knew (and knew how to play). I really love Xianqi and I quite prefer it to standard Chess. I'm not strong at either, but I have a lot more fun with Xianqi.

I was hoping you'd uncover some awesome Xianqi app that I hadn't heard of, but alas, I already knew about these from my last search of the app store. I've always had a suspicion that there must be a really good, solid Chinese app for this, but not being able to read the language makes it hard to look for and test such apps. I guess I'll stick with HOXChess.

Hey Joem,

Thanks for the feedback! Dick has been doing some great work with these articles and I'm glad they're getting a positive reception.

FWIW he talked to me a little bit about this article in particular - he said there really wasn't that many decent Xianqi apps out on the western app stores so that's why this guide has less apps in it than the previous ones.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”