admin
Site Admin

News by Numbers - June 19th, 2017

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Welcome to News by Numbers, where I highlight some of the can't-miss mobile gaming news each week.

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/news-by-numbers-19th-of-june-2017/

TheMightyHoplite

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 pm

I'm sorry but I honestly don't really think Rogue Wizard是is an outstanding roguelike. It's all about the status, just like most hack & slash games, all you need are rare weapons/armories rather than true tactical skills. Of course, you sometimes have to think about strategy, but the game is much more relying on drop luck. If you are into brilliant roguelikes that are truly focused on strategy/tactics, i would like to recommend you these games instead:
HyperRogue, Hoplite, 868-HACK, The Death of the Corpse Wizard, Rogue Knight: Infested Lands, Ms. Spell, MicRogue, Imbroglio, Zaga 33, Amber Hall, Acane Tower, Crowntakers, etc.

TDOTCW and RK:IL, Ms. Spell are just released in recent days. If you have not yet played them, just go to App Store to buy them or go to youtube to check the gameplay videos!
Last edited by TheMightyHoplite on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NICKVIGDAHL

Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm sorry but I honestly don't really think Rogue Wizard is an outstanding roguelike. It's all about the status, just like most hack & slash games, all you need are rare weapons/armories rather than true tactical skills. Of course, you sometimes have to think about strategy, but the game is much more relying on drop luck. If you are into brilliant roguelikes that are truly focused on strategy/tactics, i would like to recommend you these games instead:
HyperRogue, Hoplite, 868-HACK, The Death of the Corpse Wizard, Rogue Knight: Infested Land, Ms. Spell, MicRogue, Imbroglio, Zaga 33, Amber Hall, Acane Tower, Crowntakers, etc.

TDOTCW and RK:IL, Ms. Spell are just released in recent days. If you have not yet played them, just go to App Store to buy them or go to youtube to check the gameplay videos!

Well, it's not a roguelike IMO, unless we are very loosely defining the genre. It's a turn-based tactical game with a lot more in common with Diablo III, especially the focus on gear and loot grind.

TheMightyHoplite

Re:

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:45 pm

NICKVIGDAHL wrote:
I'm sorry but I honestly don't really think Rogue Wizard is an outstanding roguelike. It's all about the status, just like most hack & slash games, all you need are rare weapons/armories rather than true tactical skills. Of course, you sometimes have to think about strategy, but the game is much more relying on drop luck. If you are into brilliant roguelikes that are truly focused on strategy/tactics, i would like to recommend you these games instead:
HyperRogue, Hoplite, 868-HACK, The Death of the Corpse Wizard, Rogue Knight: Infested Land, Ms. Spell, MicRogue, Imbroglio, Zaga 33, Amber Hall, Acane Tower, Crowntakers, etc.

Well, it's not a roguelike IMO, unless we are very loosely defining the genre. It's a turn-based tactical game with a lot more in common with Diablo III, especially the focus on gear and loot grind.

Sorry, I'm not discussing about what genre this game should be categorized into. It is nonsense and also not my point, my friend. It's a turn based hack and slash to the core, but with some superficial traits of the roguelike at the same time. So what? My point is that the game is not truly tactical or strategic. You have called this game a tactical game but I personally will never call it so. Any kinds of tactics could be totally ignored here, if you just had a good luck. It maybe a good hack & slash RPG. I don't know, since I was never a fan of that kind of game.

CarlRJ

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Ten games listed. Seven of them have no links whatsoever - aside from readers losing out on the convenience factor, do you really _not_ want visitors clicking through affiliate links to get to the App Store?

EICJoe

Re:

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:25 pm

CarlRJ wrote:Ten games listed. Seven of them have no links whatsoever - aside from readers losing out on the convenience factor, do you really _not_ want visitors clicking through affiliate links to get to the App Store?

Ask, and ye shall receive.

On a serious note though, I don't always like showing obvious bias towards iOS despite the revenue potential, but I've gone through and added some links to certain entries where it made sense. I've mentioned before I don't like link-bombing you guys and I stand by that, but you're right I could have added a few more helpful links for you - apologies for that.

You'll notice though that many entries have links to past review coverage, which always have direct affiliate links in them at the bottom.

It's just as useful for us to try and encourage readers to navigate around the site than it is to send them directly to the app store. Granted, it's not as convenient but I'm sure you can indulge me some minor attempts at building interest in the site at large for any potential newcomers that come in via NBNs.

Like I've also said in a previous post, the affiliate link is a very powerful tool and lasts for 24 hours, and works for ANYTHING you buy, regardless of what specific link you clicked on. On any given day, I only need to get you the once :)
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

anto

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:03 am

Ten games listed. Seven of them have no links whatsoever - aside from readers losing out on the convenience factor, do you really _not_ want visitors clicking through affiliate links to get to the App Store?

That's fine for me, otherwise it would have to have links to Apple and GooglePlay stores (and Steam too, I suppose, just to mention the common platforms/app stores)?

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”