admin
Site Admin

PT Guides: Like... Starcraft? You'll Love These!

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:20 pm

The Starcraft franchise has helped define the real-time strategy (RTS) genre of games over the last twenty years.

http://www.pockettactics.com/guides/if-you-like-starcraft-youll-like/

raindog308

Re: PT Guides: Like... Starcraft? You'll Love These!

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:27 pm

"These are the best mobile titles inspired by the legendary sci-fi real strategy game."

Starcraft is about as much a "strategy" game as Diablo. But apparently only real-time games are "real strategy"? I thought turn-based warfare sims require about 1000x strategy and thought as a Starcraft click-fest but apparently I was wrong. Either that or you missed the "-time" in that sentence :D

BTW, you only gave Battle Worlds: Kronos 3 stars, not 4.

EICJoe

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:59 pm

raindog308 wrote:"These are the best mobile titles inspired by the legendary sci-fi real strategy game."

Starcraft is about as much a "strategy" game as Diablo. But apparently only real-time games are "real strategy"? I thought turn-based warfare sims require about 1000x strategy and thought as a Starcraft click-fest but apparently I was wrong. Either that or you missed the "-time" in that sentence :D

Real strategy, for real gamers, in REAL-time. Not this fake time that you see talked about in other circles.

(fixed)
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Mirefox

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:09 pm

raindog308 wrote:"These are the best mobile titles inspired by the legendary sci-fi real strategy game."

StarCraft is fundamentally about collecting/managing resources and expanding territory through base-building, upgrades and tech trees, and warfare. The game is absolutely strategy in spite of what the "professional" players have turned it in to. I played countless games of Brood Wars over the LAN while in college and considering that none of us even knew what "APM" was, there was a modicum of speed (especially if someone was insistent on a zerg rush) but our games were often about scouting and countering what we thought the other was doing.

Neo42

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:10 pm

I disagree Raindog. RTS games like Command and Conquer and Starcraft have a lot of strategic and tactical depth. You can only do so much at once and you have to make choices, and choose paths. So, there is meta-strategy. But there's also in-game strategy. "Ok so he appears to be going down that tech/strategy so how do I react to that?"

Or "he's sending a bunch of units my way, how do I deal with those tactically and still maintain my strategy?"

Also. I'm going to send some units to his base from the south to distract him while I send my main invading force to the north. And I'm going to time that with an EMP blast so his power is out when I hit with my main force.

So, yes. Strategy and tactics. And with the problem of a clock forcing your hand at every moment.

Moreso than Diablo, which is mostly a pre-fight strategy plus tactical-in-fight experience.

As for click-fest, to me, that has been redefined by the more recent genre of things like Clicker Hero, Battleborn Tap, and the Office Space mobile games. Or Farmville or Hayday for a slightly different genre but very clickfesty.

My overall point is though that there are turn based strategy games, and real time strategy games. As for what I'd rather play, it depends on my mood. But, within the RTS category I have always preferred Command and Conquer vs Warcraft or Starcraft.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”