admin
Site Admin

Review: Strike Team Hydra

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:06 pm

While Strike Team Hydra could easily be panned as Demon’s Rise In Space, that would be a disservice because the strongest merits of either game have nothing to do with...

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-strike-team-hydra/

moggylloyd

Re: Review: Strike Team Hydra

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:48 pm

I'm not saying one's right or one's wrong, but it's amazing how much reviewers' opinions differ. Pocket Gamer slated this with a 3/10 score, one of the lowest I've seen them give for anything, but Pocket Tactics loves it and awards four stars. It's just interesting how people can see the same thing in completely different ways - of course for a consumer it can be a nightmare trying to work out who to believe!

EICJoe

Re: Review: Strike Team Hydra

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Interesting, I haven't read up on their review - I tend to not until after our own coverage has gone live. Will have to have a read and see what they said.

EDIT: Wow, it really is like chalk and cheese. Feels like Ric is having a little bit of a hump about XCOM-like games specifically but, sometimes you really just don't one with a game (or, conversely, end up liking a game everyone else hates).
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Wavelightgames

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Toucharcade are working on a review, apparently. I guess we could use that as the tie breaker?

Wavelightgames

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Also, the French site, KickMyGeek, awarded the game with 9 / 10 and loved it.

epigraph

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:50 pm

I really enjoyed this game in spite of its many failings. It's a really unusual game that way. Taken at face value, you could easily low-rate it.

1) It doesn't communicate its systems clearly at all.
* Example: The only way to determine your attack range is to click on hexes one by one to see if something is in range, but when you select an ability, you get a clear identification of available hexes.
* Example: Buffs and debuffs are super critical in this game, but you have to go to a detail screen to find them
* Example: Consequences of dying, that you can grind by repeating missions, etc... is never really explained
* Example: there's no way to check the description of a special mission before you do it.
* I have no idea why sometimes I seem to be able shoot through walls (sometimes, maybe, I think there's a window there?)
2) UI is Janky and sometimes totally broken
* Double tapping a hex to attack is sometimes an exercise in frustration that causes one of your team members to run off into the middle of no-where.
* Sometimes your team member will just throw a grenade off into the middle of no-where. No indication why
* Panning and zooming with or without the camera control is super janky.
* fog of war exists, but not communicated

BUT the combat system _is_ really good. The terrain in the maps is interestingly set up and the abilities that let you create super-terrain contribute to the tactical problem solving feel. Top that with the variety of ways of tweaking your own experience (grinding, difficulty levels, team switch-ups) makes for a very satisfying tactical experience with each map load.

If this game had the clarity of presentation and control that its underlying systems deserve, it'd be 5* easy.

Wavelightgames

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:44 pm

The 1.2 patch that was just approved clears up the UI a lot. Maybe give that a shot and let me your thoughts. The 1.3 patch that's sitting with Apple also improves and fine tunes a few things, hopefully that'll get released in a couple days.

Buttsauce

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:49 pm

I've never seen such a swift and dedicated developer to the fans. He truly listens to the fans and improves the user experience immediately.

Buttsauce

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:49 pm

I've never seen such a swift and dedicated developer to the fans. He truly listens to the fans and improves the user experience immediately.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”