admin
Site Admin

Review: Darkest Dungeon

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Darkness, unlike light, has no speed. It simply lurks, menacingly or invitingly, to be met on its own terms. Like a supplicant, this is how I first encountered Darkest Dungeon,...

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-darkest-dungeon/

biffpow

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:12 pm

Excellent review, Michael. I would like to be up for this kind of grueling experience, but that's not my thing. And the noted UI hurdles make me sure this one will not visit my ipad.

Mad props to whomever wrote the article subheader; the "R'lyeh intense dungeon crawler" line made me happy. More of that kind of cleverness, please : )

Buttsauce

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Excellent review.

Junker359

Re: Review: Darkest Dungeon

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:45 pm

How about an Android release!

Neumannium

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:33 pm

The clarifying text is hidden directly behind the finger as well, an awkward carryover from the original mouse-and-keyboard interface.

You can release after the long tap and the clarifying text remains on screen, so no need to hide it under your finger.

devensega

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:51 pm

This is great game that stands the test of time, I've been returning to it again and again on PS Vita for some now.

On consoles it can be a bit of a faff, controls wise, when looking for key information on party members etc. Especially so if you take a few weeks off and forget what button combo opens a specific menu... I may have to dip in again for touch screen experience.

LordGek

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Does the mobile port include the Crimson Court content?

Mrowww

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:16 pm

It doesn't as of yet, but Red Hook Studios has confirmed that it is slated to arrive as a paid add-on later this year.

acedout

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Neumannium wrote:
The clarifying text is hidden directly behind the finger as well, an awkward carryover from the original mouse-and-keyboard interface.

You can release after the long tap and the clarifying text remains on screen, so no need to hide it under your finger.

I Don't think this works everywhere. But agree this is the main issue I have with the game. Also annoying that the enemy stats disappear all-too-easily. Also adding runes (forget the proper name) is a total pain, especially when transferring across characters on a regular basis.

I really hope the UI annoyances are fixed, as in my mind, this is still a solid 5 star game. Please just make it easier to switch stuff between characters etc. And allow for enemy stats to appear on a more permanent basis.

For such a polished game, these niggles do let it down. But for a V1 release, it's still one not to miss.

acedout

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:57 pm

I'm actually playing in Radiant mode and it's fun - not too many deaths either, so don't be put off by all the reports of this being really hard. In this mode, it's actually quite forgiving. But I've only gotten hero's to around level 3/4. I'm sure things will start to ramp up!

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”