Bismarck

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:38 pm

I have this game and do, in fact, have a PhD for the period. However, I concur heartily with the Colonel's conclusion: too much work for too little gain.

noonbros

Re: Accuracy vs. Overkill: An Overview of HistWar Napoleon

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:04 pm

The review was right on target. I have the game as well, and while I agree its not for everyone, it is the most accurate simulation of the Napoleonic period to date. Graphics aren't state of the art, but the level of detail make up for any visual shortcomings.

Jsherfy

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:37 pm

You've inspired me to look at this again. I have the demo and did not spend much time with it. It is difficult to follow. What we need is for someone to do a tutorial on You tube for this program. I have gone through some of the tutorials in the demo and as you say, they are not always easy to follow. So if you get inspired to help out, it would be great to see someone demonstrate the way you issue orders in the program. I get to that point and it seems pretty difficult. But what you bring up is exactly what has been missing in other games/simulations of the period. You need some kind of system that factors in all of the uncertainly that was on a Napoleonic battlefield. Delays in orders. Officers taking initiative and not doing what they were ordered to do. I would love to see this. Certainly the same is true for Civil War battles. We have all these games that allow us to micromanage what is going on and it would be nice if someone were to develop games that take that away. I think it would be frustrating but also educational and interesting.

JMM

Re: Accuracy vs. Overkill: An Overview of HistWar Napoleon

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi
Thank you for this interesting review.
I agree with a lot of parts of this text and the comments too.
Today, I can spend a lot of time on this game again. I would like add several shorts tutorials on YouTube to explain the methods for playing the game. Not yet because I prefer to work on the engine.
Several important modifications on the game are in progress.. I don't want speak about that this day ;) No date for the new version.
JMM
HistWar Designer

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”