admin
Site Admin

Pocket Tactics Presents: A Guide to Free Games on Android

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:26 pm

We live in an era of free games, with very loose definitions of the word "free'.

http://www.pockettactics.com/guides/pocket-tactics-presents-a-guide-to-free-games-on-android/

jasta07

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:39 pm

Awesome article! Thanks!

Can highly recommend Pixel Dungeon and OpenTTD is worth a look as well (if you have a large screen)

A couple here I didn't know about though.

Chaated

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:24 am

Loooooong time reader first time poster - great article! As someone without android, is there an iOS article coming soon? Or even a paid list of like real 'essential' games?

anto

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:04 am

note sure if this was already mentioned on this side, but this looks like a good turn based digital port of a boardgame, completely free, no ads:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rcato.nika

tough it only supports local pass and play (no AI or online).

gnomius

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:27 am

I wouldn't say that Battle for Wesnoth has an official and a non-official version. As far as I know, both of them are "non official", but the one developed by Androth Softworks (the paid one) has been abandoned since 2012.

Right now, the ony one working is the one developed by Alep, who is doing a really great job, and has it up-to-date with the dektop version. And this guy is doing all this work for free. :-)

Not really an official version, but we could say this is the "de facto" official Android port.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... wesnoth112

More information can be found on the "Battle for Wesnoth" forums:

https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewforum.php?f=6

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Chaated wrote:Loooooong time reader first time poster - great article! As someone without android, is there an iOS article coming soon? Or even a paid list of like real 'essential' games?

Hey Chaated, welcome to the forums :)

We can certainly look into an iOS version, but from what I understand 'freeware' on the apple platform is a lot rarer, because piracy is a lot harder. You either get the premium titles or the IAP stuff. Very little in the middle ground.

As for a general list of 'essential' premium games - we're always doing guides based on various themes, from genres, to Like X, You'll Love Y pieces Nick sometimes does. I'm probably not going to do a definitive 'must have' games list because all of that is subject to opinion. I'd rather keep to the targeted stuff :)
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

zenorogue

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:09 pm

I do not think the rarity of freeware on iOS has much to do with piracy being harder... Some people prefer the cheaper/free/homemade options (Linux, freeware games, ride bicycle, hostels, cook your own food) while others prefer the more expensive ones (AAA games, cars, restaurants, hotels, fashionable stuff). In my impression, Android in general tends to targets the former while iOS targets the later. The Android platform is much more open in many ways, some of the Android phones are cheap, you can do development on Linux (not necessarily on OSX), etc. All of this is inviting for users and developers of freeware.

One important example -- if nothing has changed, you need to pay 25 USD once to put your games in Google Play (or you could pay nothing and just distribute the APK), and 100 USD yearly to put them in AppStore. It is less likely that a developer would be willing to pay that much so that their user would play it for free.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”