admin
Site Admin

Fallen London arrives on iOS

Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:55 pm

It's too bad Tof isn't around this week, as one of their favorite games has just arrived on the App Store.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/fallen-london-arrives-on-ios/

Js619

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:08 pm

I'm in the same boat as Neumann with this one - I'm enjoying my time with it so far (started out in the browser window then got squirreled) but it's certainly a little overwhelming for a noob.

halfvoid

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:38 pm

My experience with it (I've been playing off and on for a couple years on the web) is that you're more in charge of making your next goal and working towards it. There are more optimal paths you can figure out yourself (or wiki), but things locked behind the fate currency aren't holding you back in any way, think of them like buying an expansion pack in Agricola. Just new content (and a way to pay the team.) Mostly just new story paths with a nice reward at the end.

riotgirl

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:42 pm

I bought'Sunless Sea' on Steam at the start of the year based upon the theme and Meg Jayanath's evocative writing (big fan after '80 Days'). However, have barely touched it because like other Steam (ab)users, I have been suckered into playing other games - notably VTMB and now Clannad.

FE is definitely on my list - even though it is free. Sadly, not enough capacity to play, but definitely on my watch list based upon the atmospheric 'Sunless Sea'.

Finandir

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:30 am

I'll definitely be grabbing this one tonight. Based on the little time I've spent with the web version, this will be a great one to explore.

I've played a good bit of Sunless Sea. It is one of my favorite indie titles on Steam in recent years. It takes the atmosphere and writing skill of Fallen London and adds a somewhat action-based RPG along with it. I say somewhat, because while you do steer a ship around, other than some real-time combat - which moves pretty slowly for an arcade game - there isn't a lot of the kind of action you would find in the typical action-based game. The "action" part is really just a way of moving through the world for the most part.

I REALLY hope they eventually port Sunless Sea to iOS. In the meantime, we have Fallen London and Sunless Sea is playable on Windows and Mac OS X.

CTD

Re: Fallen London arrives on iOS

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:29 am

I really want to like this but the app has wiped my progress twice. Once when I inadvertently logged onto the website version when confirming my account and once when I decided to also install the iPhone app (as well as the iPad one).

It looks like sync between devices is very shadowy...

[update] Failbetter say that there is no manual sync at the moment. If you want to be sure, log out of one device before logging in on another one.

CTD

Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Further to this sync behaviour - when your actions fall to zero it triggers a sync and refreshes your actions. The action count never seems to tick upwards by itself in the app, though it is obviously doing so in the background and the app (confusingly) says you are due a new action in "less than a minute".

So just keep doing stuff and the actions will come back. Hopefully this confusing state of affairs will be cured in next app update.

geigerm

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:12 am

I spent a few minutes with the app, and overwhelming certainly seems like the right word. Not quite sure why I'm doing any of the things I've been doing, other than improving my stats.

halfvoid

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:41 am

If you want a good starting off point. Pick two of your Main stats and focus on raising them and use up your opportunity deck before doing stuff around the city. Each location in the city is associated with one or more of the Main Stats and stories there will usually depend on and increase those stats. I'm starting over completely with a new character and focusing on Shadowy and Persuasion, so after emptying my deck I go through storylets in Spite (Shadowy) and The Veilgarden (Persuasion).

Once two of your stats are around 40 you can start in on your "Hearts Ambition" stories a little easier.

geigerm

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:12 am

Thanks for the tips. I'm coincidentally focusing on the same two stats and locations, although I wasn't using my deck nearly enough before reading your post.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”