admin
Site Admin

Quintessence: The Challenge of Digital Preservation (Part 2)

Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:30 pm

Menu Following on our recent exchange with Jon-Paul Dyson about game preservation, I turned to the first people I interviewed, Chris Schwass and John Meindersee, creators of Stone Age.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/quintessence-the-challenge-of-digital-preservation-part-2/

biffpow

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:36 pm

Fantastic article--thought-provoking and expanding on ideas that I think are only just emerging as discussion points for many gamers.

Quote: "Schwass: I'm picturing long-term what PlayStation and Wii did for legacy games, or even emulators on PC."

Nice to see the "e" word used by a gaming professional in a positive sense. In many ways, emulators are the only real preservation system currently in place that allows play of out of print and unsupported titles. And I think that PlayStation and Wii (and now the 3DS as well) did what they did for legacy games because they saw there was money on the table. I mean, I'm glad they're getting those old titles available on new systems, but it's not out of some history-minded effort to preserve them. Although I think Nintendo is a lot smarter about legacy stuff because they recognized a lot more quickly that a lot of titles reinforces their brand so strongly with older gamers.

Quote: "Kelsey: My ideal would be a cross-platform multiplayer standard supported by the W3C (or a similar standards body with broad acceptance) and adopted by Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo...."

That is a well-stated ideal, though also perhaps idealistic at this point in gaming history. Apple has shown no interest in this at all (because they don't see themselves as a lowly console company, but as a technology innovator, which is a somewhat conceited distinction, IMO, for what is a phone company at this point). MS has never been interested in gaming or backwards compatibility. Moreover, none of them will play nice with each other.

Great article, Kelsey : ) Is there a Part 3??

EICJoe

Re:

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:43 pm

biffpow wrote:
Great article, Kelsey : ) Is there a Part 3??

I'm afraid not.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

rinelk

Re:

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:08 am

biffpow wrote:Quote: "Kelsey: My ideal would be a cross-platform multiplayer standard supported by the W3C (or a similar standards body with broad acceptance) and adopted by Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo...."

That is a well-stated ideal, though also perhaps idealistic at this point in gaming history. Apple has shown no interest in this at all (because they don't see themselves as a lowly console company, but as a technology innovator, which is a somewhat conceited distinction, IMO, for what is a phone company at this point). MS has never been interested in gaming or backwards compatibility. Moreover, none of them will play nice with each other.

Perhaps idealistic? I was going for "peace in the Middle East" levels of pie-in-the-sky-itude!

Many thanks for the praise.

magdymada

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:17 pm

nice article i like it

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”