admin
Site Admin

Reader’s Choice Game of the Year 2016: Pathfinder Adventures

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:00 pm

As games writers, we can have all the opinions we want but none of it really matters without you, the readers.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/readers-choice-game-of-the-year-2016-pathfinder-adventures/

MetaKirby

Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Yay! Pathfinder is definitely my #1 app in 2016 for the most logged hours. I've pretty much played every day since it came out, minus a dozen or so occasions where I was just too busy for gaming.

I do hope they fix some of the bugs the last few updates have introduced, and get Quest mode back up and running. Otherwise it's been a great port of an already amazing physical game.

Triggercut

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:59 pm

I tried Pathfinder when it first came out and the UI is so confusing (looking at that screenshot brings back those thoughts). For a Mobile/IOS game it seems like too much work to press through the learning curve to wind up with a game that still needs updates, and Quest mode is broken?

MetaKirby

Re: Reader’s Choice Game of the Year 2016: Pathfinder Adventures

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:41 pm

They fixed most of the UI issues I had with it early on. There is a lot to grasp with the core concepts of the game itself (i.e. cards can be revealed, discarded, recharged, buried, or banished), but it's a very deep experience once you grasp the basics. Understandably that might not be everyone's cup of tea, though.

They released a new content update for the last chapter of the game just before the holidays, but it unfortunately had the side effect of causing the quest mode to bug out for some players. Their dev team then went on vacation, so in hindsight it probably wasn't the best timing. It's been pretty solid otherwise though, and the core campaign mode still works.

jeffy777

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:49 am

Need to revisit. Tried it when first released and thought it felt a bit shallow, but seems they've updated it a ton since then.

jasta07

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:45 am

I've had some serious game breaking issues with Pathfinder Adventures throughout its release... a couple of times I've stopped playing for what seemed like weeks. Yet there's still no question that it's my favourite mobile game of 2016 - or ever for that matter.

It genuinely leaves me scratching my head why more mobile games aren't like it - the same depth, the same level of polish (at least in presentation). So many mobile games try to be PC games and just don't work... or they're so shallow that they entertain for a few hours then become repetitive and dull. PA just kept on giving and giving.

LordGek

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Is Quest mode stable or still rather glitchy?

acedout

Re: Reader’s Choice Game of the Year 2016: Pathfinder Adventures

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:47 pm

I'll have to give this game another go. I played V1.0 for some time, but had numerous issues and managed to get reasonably far before getting stuck in an endless loop. I realise a huge number of updates have since been made live, so I guess there is no better time to give it another go.

Bob-is-Bob

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:00 am

Having tried both games - i realized i am not their target audiences. Neither really appealed to me. Pathfinder crashed for me while Twilight was just too tedious and ponderous. I still like and play Ascension.

MetaKirby

Re:

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:48 am

LordGek wrote:Is Quest mode stable or still rather glitchy?

Unfortunately it's currently bugged for most folks. It was in a pretty good state for a while, then the week before Christmas they put out a content update (the last adventure chapter in campaign) that broke progression in many cases. They put in a quick hotfix for the campaign mode, but didn't have time to fix Quest mode before the devs went on Xmas vacation.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”