admin
Site Admin

First Look: Hades' Star Alpha

Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:00 pm

I've mentioned Hades' Star and its ongoing alpha testing a couple times in my News by Numbers column.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/first-look-hades-star-alpha/

ppilot

Re: First Look: Hades' Star Alpha

Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Tried playing it, but as of now I don't see how you can actually enjoy the game without IAP. The biggest issue is revenue generation or lack thereof, due to the incredibly manual process of trade and the relatively few amount of credits generated by colonized planets. This creates a MASSIVE credit shortage considering how much costs escalate even after a few levels. So in my mind they need to have trade become a little more automated even when you are not actively playing the game.

halfvoid

Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:45 pm

They haven't focused on optimising the economy yet. Should be in one of the next two updated before the end of the Alpha though, from what they've said in the dev corp chat.

EICJoe

Re: First Look: Hades' Star Alpha

Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:51 pm

I'm actually quite interested in this. Once it hits Open Beta I was goings to sign up and give it a whirl.

Just discovered Subterfuge as well via a friend, and when his game ends I'm going to jump in a match of that with him too.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com

themensch

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:05 pm

I've been having fun with this game so far - despite the alpha status, it is quite playable and it's interesting to see how different players' tactics play out given nobody gets an IAP boost yet. I prefer this gameplay to Subterfuge.

NICKVIGDAHL

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Just discovered Subterfuge as well via a friend, and when his game ends I'm going to jump in a match of that with him too.

And Joe was never heard from again...

Also, to echo Halfvoid, the economy isn't optimized yet and the early game is a bit rough. The developers are smoothing that out for sure. I can assure you that even in its present state things get CONSIDERABLY better.

Sjeng

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Subterfuge is a great game and I like Neptune's Pride:Triton, the game it is based on even more. It has more interaction earlier on by trading tech. The thing thise 2 games both have in common is that in most of the games you have to betray people to win.
I think Hades' Star can turn into something where working together gives a better feeling because there wont be a need to betray others. Most of the time. But I played the demo a bit and agree with the micro-managing part. It felt too much as a job in this stage. But I certainly keep am eye om this one and try it agaim in the near future. I really like games where things go on while I try to have a real life and where I just have to check in once in a while.

randiv

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:24 pm

I've been having fun with this game so far - despite the alpha status, it is quite playable and it's interesting to see how different players' tactics play out given nobody gets an IAP boost yet.

I was interested in this game when I first heard about it -- until I got to the part in the description about "IAP boost". IAP that gives in-game advantage is a non-starter for me.

themensch

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:32 pm

I've been having fun with this game so far - despite the alpha status, it is quite playable and it's interesting to see how different players' tactics play out given nobody gets an IAP boost yet.

I was interested in this game when I first heard about it -- until I got to the part in the description about "IAP boost". IAP that gives in-game advantage is a non-starter for me.

I share your hesitation with regards to IAP and I remain hopeful there will be a way they can implement this that will not affect the free-to-play players -- the devs have acknowledged that these are the players that determine the longterm success of the game. While I'm not averse to paying someone for a job well done, I do dislike the IAP leg-up model and I'd rather pay a flat sum right up front. I've certainly enjoyed playing this game with my friends quite a bit already, and I'd happily throw a 5-spot for the release version, it has been that good to me.

NICKVIGDAHL

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Different people dislike different aspects of the freemium model. I rule out almost anything with an energy system that limits duration of play but am OK with IAPs to add in-game currency or speed up progression depending on how it is implemented and so long as not doing so doesn't mean one can't play or progress. For those that are not ok with this I recommend you steer clear of this game. Different strokes and so on.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”