Sarah Northway: Angelina Jolie is in Rebuild and other lesser-known facts28 May 2012 0
Sarah Northway here - creator of the zombie strategy game Rebuild. If you've played it, you may have noticed that I peppered it with references to everything from Oregon Trail to Dawn of the Dead. But there's some stuff going on in Rebuild that you might have missed.
The faces in the game were created from real photos of my friends and family... who are mostly boring white people, so I changed some volunteers' skin color, facial hair, weight and/or age to achieve a more interesting-looking cast.
|That's me - Sarah Northway||My husband Colin Northway||Spelunky developer Derek Yu||Braid artist David Hellman||Rebuild's artist, EvilKris|
|World of Goo and Indie Fund guy Ron Carmel||Game designer Tiff Chow||Faraway dev Steph Thirion||Appabove dev Aaron Isaksen||Angelina Jolie (sans makeup)|
Here's some more Rebuild trivia:
- The survivor names are generated from the names of people I know, as well as characters from action movies and games. There are 6 million random name combinations in Rebuild, including: Gordon "Meatboy" Freeman, Colin "Pacifist" Northway, and Snake "Tallahassee" Plissken.
- In the code, I named the class that represents a survivor "Colin", after my husband. So all over the place I have functions with names like "getLivingColins", "findSeniorColin", "pickColinToHurt", and the dreaded "killColin".
- There are references to the home improvement show "This Old House" and its host Bob Vila. Known as "Bob Bila" in Rebuild (and looking suspiciously like my husband), he can sometimes be found fixing up old farmhouses.
- Here's one only Canadians might get: there's an event involving a dog named London, who was the star of the Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down,
Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.
- The random city names are real places in Canada, mainly in British Columbia where I'm from. I made a few exceptions for other cities I'm fond of (San Francisco, Edinburgh).
- "The Granville Riffs" (or simply "The Riffs") are some badass dudes who roll around Rebuild killing zombies for fun, and may help you deal with the Last Judgement Gang when the time comes. Their name is a play on the "Gramercy Riffs" from cheesy cult classic The Warriors, which you should probably go watch now. Or not, it's terrible.
I watched a ton of zombie movies as research for the game, and I admit to writing some of the random events after a few glasses of wine. I'll leave you with one more: if you have the iOS version of the game, check the achievements and see if you can spot the following references: Dawn of the Dead, The Tragically Hip, Time Bandits, the People's Temple, and Army of Darkness.