DIGIDICED bringing economic boardgame Stockpile to mobile, beta signups available18 Jul 2018 0
A couple of weeks ago we learned that DIGIDICED were working on a digital adaption of Castles of Burgundy, and now it seems they’re working on another digital board game title as well.
Stockpile is an economic themed board game that revolves around stocks and trading, with the player possessing the most money at the end of a game being crowned the winner. You are acting as stock market investors at the end of the 20th century, with a key mechanic being that everyone knows something about the stock market, but no-one knows everything.
This is manifested in two ways: insider information, and the ‘stockpile’ itself. The first is the more obvious:
[Inside information] dictates how a stock’s value will change at the end of the round. By privately learning if a stock is going to move up or down, each player has a chance to act ahead of the market by buying or selling at the right time.
As for the second, players purchase their stocks by bidding on piles of cards which are known as ‘stockpiles’. These will contain a mixture of face-up cards with a smattering of face-down cards that have been put there by other players, so no single player knows what ever card in a pile is:
Not all cards are good either. Trading fees can poison the piles by making players pay more than they bid. By putting stocks and other cards up for auction, Stockpile catalyzes player interaction, especially when potential profits from insider information are on the line.
The currently advertised features of Stockpile digital include:
- Multiplatform (PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android)
- Cross-platform Multiplayer: Challenge the best players or friends across all platforms worldwide or play against your spouse with pass and play
- Thee different computer opponent levels
- True to the rules: The Stockpile App uses the newest rules edition of the board game
- Languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Chinese (simplified), Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Korean and Japanese
- Game replays: Analyse your best games or learn tricks from the top players
Unlike Castles of Burgundy (which was slated for a 2019 release) DIGIDICED aren’t talking about the release date for Stockpile. What they are saying though is that a public beta will be unveiled at GenCon this year, and you can sign up for the beta at the bottom of this page.