Caralon

Re: Hello & Don't Panic

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:57 pm

I'm really glad PT has a Janice to live on. Kelsey has been doing an excellent job soldiering on alone.

I would appreciate some information about the relationship between slithering and the websites. What's the relationship? What is the editorial policy on review or coverage of slithering games?

rinelk

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:28 pm

I'm really glad PT has a Janice to live on. Kelsey has been doing an excellent job soldiering on alone.

I would appreciate some information about the relationship between slithering and the websites. What's the relationship? What is the editorial policy on review or coverage of slithering games?
Well, it's particularly nice not to be working without an editor this week, as I'm on vacation in Maine and have no computer, just my iPad. Oddly enough, our content management back-end is really difficult to use on mobile Safari.

Anyway, here's our review policy. Long ago, I was under the impression that PT was going to be jointly owned by Slitherine and Owen's company, but it seems we're now wholly Slitherine's. I believe Joe is an official Slitherine employee, while I and everyone else are, I think, technically freelancers. I haven't written for any other outlets since I started at PT, so I sometimes refer to myself as being "on staff" here. I am largely insulated from Slitherine-related concerns because of my focus on digital board games and puzzle games. Others might be able to give you a more comprehensive idea of what it's like to cover their products.

I will say that I bought Star Hammer and Desert Fox during the sale. I've seen a few weirdnesses with menu background resolutions in Desert Fox, but it's functioned fine. I'm not sold on the minefields, but that might be because I haven't played a ton and they did exactly what they were supposed to do against me in my last game, slowing me down until armor could move up and wreck my pinned-down troops. Star Hammer, though, makes a fantastic first impression. Really looking forward to playing that some more. I wonder how it'll compare to Battlefleet Gothic.

EICJoe

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:21 am

Hey Caralon,

Please consult each website's 'About Us' page for more information :) as well as the Reviews Policy Kelsey linked. A lot of the information is copy/paste but it boils down to both outlets being under the Wargamer Ltd. umbrella, which shares common ownership with the Slitherine Group of companies. We're technically part of the 'group' but they've assured us our editorial independence.

With regards to Slitherine products specifically, we will cover them as we would anything else and add in a disclosure where necessary - usually only on articles that offer some kind of recommendation or similar context of a Slitherine product. I don't really think it's necessary to put it on, say, interviews, but we'll feel it out going forward.

Formal reviews will also have the added feature of bringing in a neutral third-party score, probably an aggregate of something like steam reviews, or the relevant app stores, or something like that. It requires a bit of dev work so we haven't been able to implement it yet, so any reviews from now until that point will have to do without (but they will still have the disclosure).

I plan to make the most of the situation - early access to Slitherine products, for example, get the news/reviews first... basically pass some kind of benefit on to you guys.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any more questions.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

EICJoe

Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:39 pm

This topic now locked. Please refer to the latest pinned post for the latest information, and please leave all feedback there.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Announcements”