Wargamer and Pocket Tactics had their first themed weeks this month. In case you don't read both sites, here's a rundown of what we did:
- * Wargamer had a week devoted to logistic & supply systems in wargames (very niche I know, but it's not something often talked about).
* Pocket Tactics had a week devoted to CCGs, and we covered a range of new & upcoming titles in this genre with a final note on Hearthstone, the 'King'.
Not 100% on when the next one is going to be. It will either be the end of October, or the beginning of November. If you want to throw in a subject suggestion into the hat, feel free!
Old PT Forums
I'll probably be speaking more about this in the coming weeks, but as a heads up the old PT forums are going to be taken offline sometime soon. If there's anything in particular you want to try and archive please do so ASAP as I don't have a deadline for when this will happen.
What I am doing though is trying to get an SQLdump of the forum threads themselves, so the archive will survive in some form. What I don't think will be saved is anything user-related – uploads, profile info etc...
I will let you know how that goes. If you have any questions or concerns, please email me. I'd also recommend you spread the word, as I know not everyone reads these.
Behind the Scenes
We're sorting out a solution for revenue that should ease the pressure off the websites in general, allow us to properly budget and focus all our attention on content. I won't go over all the details, but this is what it'll essentially mean for you guys:
- * More varied ads will start to appear.
* We will be introducing background skins to Wargamer & Pocket Tactics sometime in the near future (although not to mobile browsing, as they don't work there).
* They should mostly be game-related. If not, I'm given to understand that there will be 'lifestyle' ads that are relevant to your interests.
* If our partner is having a slow month, the Google AdSense ads will return, so those aren't gone completely.
* You might start seeing Slitherine/Matrix ads again. This is nothing to be alarmed about.
Remember: another way you can support us is to buy iOS games through our iOS affiliate link. Every link we provide, whether a hyperlink or the 'Available From' section of a review that leads directly to an iTunes page is tagged. If you happen to buy something after using our link, we get some commission.
You don't have to do this, of course - we respect your right to choose.
I've taken on board some new writers who will be starting over the next couple of weeks, so you'll see another batch of new names in article credits. Please do your best to make them feel welcome.
A few of them are also trying out specific new content ideas and directions I'm interested in pursuing, so please also give your feedback regarding that too!
Specific Feedback Wanted: News
You may or may not have noticed, but there's less news going up at the moment and I'd like your feedback on the reasons behind this:
- * 'News' is an incredibly time-consuming task that really requires a full or part-time writer dedicated to it, which we don't (and won't) have.
* I try and do bits and bobs, but the lack of consistency over what I cover has me concerned about how it presents to readers.
* And in all honesty? There are other sites that have the news thing down to a T, and I suspect you all read them as well as PT so there is a question regarding whether or not we should try and specialise elsewhere.
I'm also commissioning a new feature series that's more 'newsy', so it's not like we're totally abandoning the idea of relaying information.
That's all of this edition – if there's anything I haven't mentioned that you'd like to talk about, please feel free to let me know below or contact me directly.