EICJoe

Re: Letter from the Editor - 26th September 2016

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:03 am

FWIW: For years I thought I was visiting PT daily for the smart articles but, in retrospect, I believe the REAL ATTRACTION was the lively discussion—the depth and breadth of the community is what kept my interest. Things started to go downhill when the sudden change of management brought a change of forum software and the community began to disperse. Why? I think it is because the new software didn't support a critically simple function: the ability to respond to other user posts, to provide feedback with a simple click of a button. That's my opinion anyway. YMMV.

It is sad that years of user posts are about to 'disappear'. One can't help but think of that old adage about babies and bathwater.

:-(
Yeah, community is why people stick around... I can't force a community though. All I can do is provide content and a space to talk. I wasn't here when any of the decisions were made re: the new forums. I HAVE been trying to get those changes you guys want though, but there's only a couple of tech guys and they're always busy.

I am sorry the old forums won't be around anymore, but I've saved what I can. Provided there are no complications I'm happy to hand that data off to someone if they want to host it privately... it depends what you can do with SQL dumps I guess.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Blanchot

Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:44 pm

I can't force a community though. All I can do is provide content and a space to talk. I wasn't here when any of the decisions were made re: the new forums. I HAVE been trying to get those changes you guys want though, but there's only a couple of tech guys and they're always busy.
Thanks for your reply Joe.

With all due respect, I'd argue that "community" entails a little bit more than providing "content" and a space to discuss it. In fact I'd argue such a notion of "community" covers up what may be the core of the problem: a blinding lack of regard for the users themselves, for the time and energy users SPEND (and have spent) contributing to the community itself.

Why on earth should anyone contribute to PT's "content" when their own content is shown such a cavalier attitude of disrespect?

Of course there's no blame Joe. The forum decisions where made before you got here. And those "tech guys" are "always too busy" (we assume with more important things) to give us "guys" what we want.

:-(

blanca12

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 am

I was seeing the same thing as you, Buggy; are you also using Chrome, by any chance CCleaner Happy Wheels VLC?

Return to “Announcements”