geigerm

Multiple threads per article

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:33 pm

Due to the overlap between PT and Wargamer, some articles show up on both sites, with minor modifications. The Civil War: 1861 post is the most recent example. I assume that practice will become even more common once Strategy Gamer launches.

Having front page articles on both sites certainly makes sense, but having forum threads show up in both sites' "Front Page Discussion" subforums is slightly annoying, IMO. Now we've got two places to comment on the exact same information. I know we tried to avoid that practice on PT by creating "megathreads" in the Games Discussion area for major discussion topics.

Is there a way to aggregate the comments for these largely duplicated articles into a single thread? Or does every front page article need its own thread to allow comments directly on that article? You guys have made a practice of noting where each article first appeared; I'm wondering if there's a way to link comments from both to the "home" version of the article.

TannerH

Re: Multiple threads per article

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:49 am

We could manually merge topics, but I think that would make us have to decide which site it "belongs" to and could possibly break the comment sections. I wonder if we'll end up with articles in triplicate when Strategy Gamer finally launches...

biffpow

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:04 am

I can't tell from the code which CMS the sites are using, but they are using an open source design, so I assume the CMS is something standard and not custom. If so, I would guess the issue is that you have two templates (for PT and WG) sourcing from a common CMS upload (as in, you upload an article, and there's a checkbox indicating which sites it goes to). And that's normally fine, but because it creates two separate posts, the forum software is reading that as needing to be two different threads. This is because the forum software is currently pulling threads automatically, which is also mostly fine, but there needs to be a code line that tells the forum software not to post threads with duplicate titles. That should eliminate the dual postings (since both sites are sharing the same forums) (which has the potential to become an increasing problem down the road as new sites are added, btw).

Private Prinny

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:42 pm

I want to bring this back to attention via threadnecromancy - recently we have three threads about "App Store Developers Have Earned Over $50 Billion USD - Tim Cook" and two "Heroes of Normandie Giveaway" threads sooo..........

EICJoe

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:49 pm

I want to bring this back to attention via threadnecromancy - recently we have three threads about "App Store Developers Have Earned Over $50 Billion USD - Tim Cook" and two "Heroes of Normandie Giveaway" threads sooo..........
I'm talking with our Dev guy about that right now, so don't worry, hopefully it'll be fixed. Not sure what's caused it but we've been tinkering with a couple of things recently.

Regarding the Heroes of Normandie Giveaway, it was a deliberate choice on my part to run the competition separately on both outlets, mainly because there was a subtle difference in the prizes - the Wargamer guys got a choice of an iOS voucher or a Steam code.

Lemme read the rest of this thread, see if I can't comment further on some of the issues raised. New Editor, New Policy and all that.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

EICJoe

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:56 pm

Hmm, for the moment at least, there's not really been any content that's needed to cross over to both websites.

Heroes of Normandie on iOS could have been one example, but to be honest I'm happy decoupling mobile wargames from Wargamer and keeping that to desktop & table-top, only talking about handheld devices in specific contexts (Which wouldn't necessarily need to be posted to PT anyway). Anything mobile-first goes to PT, and maybe cross-promote where necessary via the social media feeds.

Will play this by ear for now - would rather avoid fiddling too much and anything complicated will need Dev work, but I think there's enough room for an article to have a home EITHER on PT or WG... ya'll just have to keep an eye on both ;)
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Feedback and Help”