SpiceTheCat

Don't Touch the Big Red Button: Twilight Struggle tournament sign-up

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:46 pm

Also as suggested by JammaTal, given the splendid new TS app, we should all learn by doing and have a tournament. Seasoned players are also welcome, to demonstrate just how to coup in style.

Anyone else up for pushing the world to just short of the brink?*

(I'm off to Munich for a bit, during which visit I will try and sound as unEnglish as possible and then just apologise repeatedly, so sign-ups will run until Monday at least.)

*other than the dimmest 52% of the UK. Ahaha satire.
Last edited by SpiceTheCat on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

JMH.75

Re: Don't Touch the Big Red Button: Twilight Struggle tournament

Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:24 pm

I'm in. Also JMH.75 in the game. Playing in GMT+1 timezone :D

irishdomer08

Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:51 pm

I'll play. I'm mhatke in the app.

Could we pick a tourney structure where we only play 1 game at a time? This is a tough one to keep straight across multiple games.

Kolbex

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:23 am

I'm definitely in, and I'd be surprised if you couldn't count OBollocks in, too.

JammaTal

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:47 am

ok, i keep suffering from cold feet, so why not suffer from cold war for a change?

i have never played the game before, so i feel comfortable in a "learning by playing" setting.

Snotty128

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:39 am

ok, i keep suffering from cold feet, so why not suffer from cold war for a change?

i have never played the game before, so i feel comfortable in a "learning by playing" setting.
Im all for learning as you play, bit its probably worth noting that there are a number of ways to instantly lose the game, even on your own turn. They mostly revolve around cards to degrade (reduce) defcon. If defcon is at 2 then reducing it to 1 ends the game. The less intuitive thing is that the player whose overall turn it is that loses, not the player that forced the defcon 1.

For example, theres a card called summit where both sides roll a dice and the winner can choose to reduce defcon. If you play summit and lose the roll, you can be forced to lose the game even though it was the other player that set defcon to 1.

rinelk

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:41 am

Im all for learning as you play, bit its probably worth noting that there are a number of ways to instantly lose the game, even on your own turn. They mostly revolve around cards to degrade (reduce) defcon. If defcon is at 2 then reducing it to 1 ends the game. The less intuitive thing is that the player whose overall turn it is that loses, not the player that forced the defcon 1.

For example, theres a card called summit where both sides roll a dice and the winner can choose to reduce defcon. If you play summit and lose the roll, you can be forced to lose the game even though it was the other player that set defcon to 1.
You can also host an international understanding-promoting event, the Olympics, and your opponent can boycott and then the friggin' nuclear war that follows is somehow your fault.

In: "rinelk". If I'm going to review the game as a complete noob, I at least have to get my education from the best.

Kolbex

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:34 pm

Hey, if you don't want nuclear war, don't host the Olympics. It's a simple rule with plenty of historical precedent.

geigerm

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:36 pm

Got my backer code this morning--count me in. I'm "mgeiger9" on Playdek.

Return to “The Tourney Dome”