whovian223

Re: Sliding to DEFCON 1: Twilight Struggle tournament thread

Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:28 pm

JammaTal and I just started Turn 4.

So far, no horrible mistakes made, but I'm sure they will be coming!

Empt

Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:14 am

I think sleepinggiant may be AWOL.....

Empt

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:57 pm

Can someone answer my previous question about the tournament setup, please?

Snotty128

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:08 am

How does this tourny work? Is it best of 5 with one opponent, or do we switch opponents after the first game is completed?
As far as I understand it, you play your matched opponent once. When that round is over for everyone youre moved to winners or losers brackets, then matched again within that bracket. That might take some time to happen as some games will run longer than others

SpiceTheCat

Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:48 am

How does this tourny work? Is it best of 5 with one opponent, or do we switch opponents after the first game is completed?
As far as I understand it, you play your matched opponent once. When that round is over for everyone youre moved to winners or losers brackets, then matched again within that bracket. That might take some time to happen as some games will run longer than others
Yep. The idea is that in each round, you're matched with someone on the same total score, who you haven't played before, and -as far as possible- playing a different side to the previous round.

The downside is that the tournament moves at the speed of the slowest game. That said, games seem to be moving much faster than expected.

Edit: in the gap between rounds, feel free to play non-tournament games. Call it preparation for the next round. :)
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

SleepingGiant

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:15 pm

I think sleepinggiant may be AWOL.....
Not AWOL, just offline for a couple days. I believe since I won our first game that concluded game 12 of the first round of the tourney, and now we are just playing a second game for fun and practice...

Empt

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:03 am

I think more than one game should be played with each opponaent. At least two, switching side on the second one. We could play best of three, where each player plays both sides, and in the event of a tie, we could play a random game, with the randomly chooses sides....

One game can put too much influence on die rolls.....

SpiceTheCat

Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:59 am

I think more than one game should be played with each opponaent. At least two, switching side on the second one. We could play best of three, where each player plays both sides, and in the event of a tie, we could play a random game, with the randomly chooses sides....

One game can put too much influence on die rolls.....
To some extent you have a point. However, in the original thread it was expected that games would last much longer than they have, and some players didn't want multiple simultaneous tournament games. Also, I didn't know about the +2 US influence at setup convention. Then again, the point of this was learning by doing, so that's definitely happening.

Personally I'm happy playing one tournament game and a bunch of friendlies at the moment.
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

Snotty128

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:31 am

Game 7 is ticking along nicely at the end of round 4.

Kolbex really has slowed down since the email notifications have been switched off. Perhaps there is another way I can notify him when Ive submitted my turn?
Yeah, sorry, I did say that was going to happen. I just forget to check...
I just got an email notification for another game Im playing in, so perhaps they switched them back on? Its also your turn

skoptic

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:23 pm

I think doublebullout may have gone AWOL, were on turn 1!

Return to “The Tourney Dome”