JammaTal

Re: Sliding to DEFCON 1: Twilight Struggle tournament thread

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:24 pm

whovian223 and me are doing our best to keep going, entering Late War soon.
lots of turns, sometimes subturns.
but we are running fine.

geigerm

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:01 pm

I believe JMH.75 and I entered the Late War yesterday ... but I'm out of town and away from my iPad until tomorrow.

Snotty128

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:05 pm

Game 7 is at the start of turn 6.

SleepingGiant

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:30 pm

Commies send invites? Is it worth noting (now that we are underway, naturally, and when it no longer makes a difference) that apparently +2 starting influence for the US is apparently considered "balanced"?
So, because I'm a big gaming nerd with too much time on my hands right now and into TS, I researched the balance issue. It appears there is general agreement that the USSR has a clear advantage in vanilla rules, but a variety of ideas on how to address that rather than a clear consensus. So, I made a survey intended for the participants of this tourney, to hear what everyone thinks would be most fair. Ultimately, the rules will be decided by Spice as the tourney organizer, so this is just informational:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/N5P36JV

hardco

Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:17 am

I see no issue with leaving things as normal. I doubt anyone in this tournament is a TS pro, and I doubt even more that we have two pros so evenly matched that we need the two extra influence to differentiate their skills. If it seems like the Soviets are always winning after this tournament, that's just reason to run another tournament with the influence difference...

SleepingGiant

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:12 am

I see no issue with leaving things as normal. I doubt anyone in this tournament is a TS pro, and I doubt even more that we have two pros so evenly matched that we need the two extra influence to differentiate their skills. If it seems like the Soviets are always winning after this tournament, that's just reason to run another tournament with the influence difference...
I'm convinced the USSR has an edge and if you'd like to play a friendly game with you as US+1 I'd accept.

JammaTal

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:46 am

tournament rules of placing (influence) bids for playing preferred superpower seem the perfect way to handle this.

in the "extended example of play" (in the revised rules) a top player was ready to take on +5 (!) US influence for playing the USSR:
"Additionally, the two players have bid for sides. Chris wins the bidding and chooses the Soviets. Stefan takes the underdogs, but due to bidding, his US begins the game with an additional five In Influence Points."

excerpt from official rules:
11.1.4 Bidding may be used to determine sides. Each player should secretly write the name of a side and a number on a piece of paper. The two bids are then revealed. If the bids show different sides, each player takes the side he wrote down, and play begins. If the bids show the same side, the player who wrote the higher number takes that side. His opponent then receives additional Influence equal to the higher number, to be allocated during setup after all other influence is placed. If the numbers are equal, sides are determined randomly; the player playing the side that did not appear on either bid then receives the additional Influence in the amount of the higher bid, as before.

all this is giving more than a hint that +2 starting influence for USA is moderate.

hardco

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:05 pm

I'm convinced the USSR has an edge and if you'd like to play a friendly game with you as US+1 I'd accept.
I'm happy to play a friendly game, but losing at +1 wouldn't convince me of anything given my knowledge of the game... :) I'll start one up though, as I'd like to learn more.

SleepingGiant

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:23 pm

I'm happy to play a friendly game, but losing at +1 wouldn't convince me of anything given my knowledge of the game... :) I'll start one up though, as I'd like to learn more.
You are totally right that one game is not statistically significant. A single die roll on a coup could be a 5 IP difference. Here is some data I found from 205 games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/298 ... gle-ladder

It's interesting that they set the default to US+3, although no overcontrol allowed for those extra points. Anyway, I'm going to stop thinking about balance and just enjoy our friendly game. I think I made the survey results page publicly viewable, so if nothing else it will be interesting to see what people think.

john_l

Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:23 am

If your game is one of those yet to finish, please report back this week.
Round 8, deadlocked at 0.

Return to “The Tourney Dome”