skoptic

Re: Sliding to DEFCON 1: Twilight Struggle tournament thread

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:55 pm

doublebullout (USSR) defeats skoptic (US) by VP after Turn 4.

The end of Turn 4 was interesting, set up by a fortunate draw of cards for the USSR. When the turn opened, the score was 4 VP in favor of the Soviets. skoptic headlined "Red Scare/Purge" while I headlined "Brezhnev Doctrine", effectively negating each other's card. With DEFCON at 3, I decided to play "Olympic Games", and the US participated, increasing the score to 6 VP. I also drew Africa (+5 VP) and South America scoring (+6). With DEFCON still at 3 and the score at 17 VP for me, skoptic had 2 cards left to play. Crucially, the US had 0 military ops points at this point. skoptic had earlier played "John Paul II" and spaced "Warsaw Pact", and then played "Quagmire" for ops to take over Poland. This shut me out of Europe, but awarded no military ops points. I played "Nazi Scientist" to advance 1 spot in space for 1 VP, and then crossed my fingers. skoptic's final card was "Suez Crisis", which he had been hoping to dump with "Quagmire" and retain superiority in Europe heading into Turn 5. But the military ops penalty for the US pushed the USSR to 21 VP, ending the game.

On to round 2!
Thanks for the game doublebullout. My first MP game .. it does take a while, but glad we sped up a bit at the end :)

Well played, I was fairly out of my depth at points (still getting use to the cards - don't think I've seen them all yet), so it was good to play a real person and appreciate some of the consequences of decisions. I think this game will take quite a while before I can lose with any elegance!

hardco

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:13 pm

After two months of intense training, I think I'm ready for round two. Let's get this show on the road! :mrgreen:

Kolbex

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:09 pm

I didn't miss the second round, did I? I've been keeping my eye out for the thread...

Zebracadabra

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:37 pm

I'm guessing the tournament is not going to continue. At this rate, we'd be headed to a conclusion in .June.....2018. No?

JammaTal

Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:16 pm

i'm starting to get worried about Spice the Cat.
two weeks have passed since he had announced to start the new thread for round 2.
i really hope he is ok.

Kolbex

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Last active on the 23rd. Maybe he just decided we all suck.

hardco

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:55 pm

It would be easy enough to pair the second round and see who shows up for their games. If there's too many drops, we could start something new with whoever is still interested.

doublebullout

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:02 pm

How are we doing points for pairing? 1 point per win?

hardco

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:31 am

Well, since a draw is possible, I'd say 2 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss.

doublebullout

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:49 am

Sounds good to me.

I set up the tournament on challonge.com at http://challonge.com/PT_std1. Swiss format, 5 rounds, with the seedings and matchups for Round 1 that SpiceTheCat used. 2 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, and 0 points for a loss. The Round 2 matchups would go as follows (first player is USSR.)

Baelnor vs whovian223
Zebracadabra vs Private Prinny
Empt vs Kolbex
JaneHatke vs Cgareth
geigerm vs Ferret96
hardco vs skoptic
Snotty128 vs SleepingGiant
rinelk vs Blackfire1929
SpiceTheCat vs JMH.75
doublebullout vs irishdomer08
john_l vs JammaTal
bigjimou vs Holsten-Knight