Private Prinny

Re: Sliding to DEFCON 1: Twilight Struggle tournament thread

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:42 pm

Private Prinny (USSR) over Zebracadabra (US)

GG!

Win by the totally OP Wargames card. I didn't know that card existed (noob) but seing the effect of it maybe skirting around Defcon 2 isnt that good of an idea after all.

I had an reasonably well start and was leading in the space race and points departments but felt that Zebracadabra more often than not got the real killer cards (Red Scare, 2*Grain Sales to Sovjets, Bear Trap, 2 Headline duds via defectors which really hurt as they were my best cards headlined). While I got aggrevating US Cards which destroyed my Dominance in South America or Shuttle Diplomacy etc...

He dominated the Middle East, Africa, and in the End Central America while seriously pushing Europe while I got an early Powerplayer Status in the Asia/SE Asia and South America.

My push for 20 points and premature decision did lose its steam in rounds 6-7 and eying the individual scores for each continent was not spelling nice things for final scoring but well....wargames.....want to play a nice game of chess, eh?

Zebracadabra

Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:51 am

Wargames is not only ridiculously OP, it's the perfect example of poor design. There's a 100% probability that the victim of this card (in this case, me) is going to say, okay, I'll be happy to never play this game again.

I understand players who have researched and studied the cards can love this game and rate it highly but even at that level, the amount of dice rolling (thus rng) is shocking.

PP's dice rolling in Space Race gave him a really good advantage, so that was no fun either. Truth be told, the amount of dice rolling is staggering. I never dreamed such a highly rated game would depend so much on dice.

So there it is. I'll stick it out so I don't gum up the works, but I suspect Wargames is not the only broken card. I spent about 60 turns trying to compete and I was okay with being so far behind that I was pretty sure I'd lose. That wasn't a problem. Wargames was a problem. It left the worst possible feeling. I'd be happy to never play the game again.

whovian223

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Baelnor beat whovian223 in final scoring with European Domination. Back and forth game, but couldn't stop the European onslaught. I've never seen countries where both factions had double-digit influence in multiple countries

Edit: forgot to say, I was Soviets & Baelnor was the hated Americans

geigerm

Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:50 pm

geigerm (US) over blackfire1929 (USSR)

A great back and forth battle that ended in Round 10, AR7, by DEFCON 1. I thought this one was going to final scoring, where I wasn't sure my 11 point edge would hold up--blackfire dominated Asia and the Middle East--but his play of Grain Sales to Soviets drew Star Wars from his hand for me. I used that event to copy Soviets Shoot Down KAL-007 and force DEFCON suicide.

Good game!

SleepingGiant

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:57 pm

So, who is still playing in round 2? Seems like maybe there is one active game and one inactive game and two winners that need to update results on challonge.com? It's really hard to figure it out from all the posts...

Private Prinny

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 am

So, who is still playing in round 2? Seems like maybe there is one active game and one inactive game and two winners that need to update results on challonge.com? It's really hard to figure it out from all the posts...
Whoops my bad - I missed the Challonge invitation in my inbox.
--> updated Zebracadabra's and my game in challonge.

JMH.75

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:03 pm

The invitation of SpiceTheCat was never sent to me... However, I'm still in for a game :)

SleepingGiant

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:03 pm

The invitation of SpiceTheCat was never sent to me... However, I'm still in for a game :)
That's the inactive game I was referring to. I really hope Spice is ok... I think the one active game might be @irishdomer vs @doublebullout?

Private Prinny

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:44 pm

images.jpg
images.jpg (6.37 KiB) Viewed 14399 times
Err......anyone here?

hardco

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:42 pm

This tournament probably should have died after the first round when we lost so many... We'd be better off starting a new one with only the committed.

Return to “The Tourney Dome”