whovian223

Re: Sliding to DEFCON 1: Twilight Struggle tournament thread

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:24 pm

So that's games 5 and 8 done already. I wonder if the 45-day limit was a bit pessimistic...

I assume everyone else's game has started without problems. Let me know if not, etc.
My game with JammaTal is in round 2, I think? I'm trying to be able to do 2-3 turns per day, depending on availability (thankfully the server's down today since I'm not going to be home until late anyway)

Private Prinny

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:42 pm

I wonder if the 45-day limit was a bit pessimistic...
Thats because HK and myself live in the same time zone and the game ending in round 2, I don't think that all games are being resolved that fast if they last until the very end and the people live on opposite sides of the big old mudball.

SleepingGiant

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:19 am

SleepingGiant defeated Empt/KingWilson on points in turn 7. Honorable game, my most memorable event was Brush War to flip Thailand from 4/6 to 10/0 although I don't know if that was really the turning point or not. We are now starting a new non-tourney game as opposite sides, I'm glad to have met a good new Cold War opponent.

SpiceTheCat

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:17 am

@Ferret96, it's your move, in case your notifications are borked.

(Tried to do this by PM, but that is certainly borked and hasn't gone)
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

Kolbex

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:49 pm

Yes, I appear to no longer be getting email notifications since the servers came back up. Ugh.

geigerm

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Yes, I appear to no longer be getting email notifications since the servers came back up. Ugh.
Same here, although I'm still getting app badge/banner notifications on my iPad.

Kolbex

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:18 pm

I'm on PC, so no badge notifications for me.

Zebracadabra

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:20 pm

How does this game deserve its rating? So far, a complete luckfest and in addition to the very dumb luck from dice rolls, circumstances with certain card combos can sabotage the game so significantly one wonders why one is playing.

So at this point, the beginning of turn 3, I either discard my best card (NATO) or I give up my 6 influence in West Germany. That is insane. Really.

SleepingGiant

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:10 am

How does this game deserve its rating? So far, a complete luckfest and in addition to the very dumb luck from dice rolls, circumstances with certain card combos can sabotage the game so significantly one wonders why one is playing.

So at this point, the beginning of turn 3, I either discard my best card (NATO) or I give up my 6 influence in West Germany. That is insane. Really.
Good strategy almost always beats luck in this game. For example, Snotty128 seems to be beating me in a friendly non-tourney game so far, even though I've probably had the better dice luck. There is also a built-in shift in advantage from USSR towards USA in the later stages. Definitely play NATO.

Strangiato

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:25 pm

Luck can almost always be mitigated by strategy.
This is very much a game that you appreciate more with each play. Learning the cards is essential.
Until Blockade is in the Removed pile, the US player always has to have a plan to handle it. If it is in your hand, you should always play it and discard an opponent event just to get it out of the game. If it is in your hand on Turn 1, you should consider an empty West Germany setup so you can play Blockade without having to discard a card.
It's a tough event to play around, but it gets balanced out by Grain Sales and Voice of America if you can survive until the mid-war.

Return to “The Tourney Dome”