Baelnor

Re: Sliding to DEFCON 1: Twilight Struggle tournament thread

Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:35 am

The game vs John is ticking along steadily, we are in Round 5 - mid war. Europe is tightly contested and the user have focused on Asian while the U.S. Have been slowly consolidating around the Middle East.

Totally wide open!

Zebracadabra

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:47 am

How does this game deserve its rating? So far, a complete luckfest and in addition to the very dumb luck from dice rolls, circumstances with certain card combos can sabotage the game so significantly one wonders why one is playing.

So at this point, the beginning of turn 3, I either discard my best card (NATO) or I give up my 6 influence in West Germany. That is insane. Really.
Good strategy almost always beats luck in this game. For example, Snotty128 seems to be beating me in a friendly non-tourney game so far, even though I've probably had the better dice luck. There is also a built-in shift in advantage from USSR towards USA in the later stages. Definitely play NATO.
Sure. Play NATO, but now it's worth only three in this round. All I can tell you is the fun was completely sucked away for me on this turn due to a totally unforeseen turn of events. I suppose my discomfort is also due to not knowing the game at all. Am seriously considering giving up before it gets any worse. At this point, I'd be surprised if I had any prayer of coming back from the current deficit. it would have been a lot smarter for me to play through a few times first.

Edit: forfeit after another long look at the board. If it got worse from here, I might just never want to play again and that wouldn't be a good thing. Maybe a few rounds vs the AI will make me a bit smarter.

rinelk

Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:24 am

How does this game deserve its rating? So far, a complete luckfest and in addition to the very dumb luck from dice rolls, circumstances with certain card combos can sabotage the game so significantly one wonders why one is playing.

So at this point, the beginning of turn 3, I either discard my best card (NATO) or I give up my 6 influence in West Germany. That is insane. Really.
Good strategy almost always beats luck in this game. For example, Snotty128 seems to be beating me in a friendly non-tourney game so far, even though I've probably had the better dice luck. There is also a built-in shift in advantage from USSR towards USA in the later stages. Definitely play NATO.
Sure. Play NATO, but now it's worth only three in this round. All I can tell you is the fun was completely sucked away for me on this turn due to a totally unforeseen turn of events. I suppose my discomfort is also due to not knowing the game at all. Am seriously considering giving up before it gets any worse. At this point, I'd be surprised if I had any prayer of coming back from the current deficit. it would have been a lot smarter for me to play through a few times first.

Edit: forfeit after another long look at the board. If it got worse from here, I might just never want to play again and that wouldn't be a good thing. Maybe a few rounds vs the AI will make me a bit smarter.
I've been there, man. Discovering that I would be forced to play a card which let my opponent choose to start a nuclear war on my phase felt like someone tied a knot in my esophagus. But I played a bunch of games against the AI, and also went into it knowing that the principle reason I had never played the physical game before was the warning that familiarity with the cards was a huge part of the game. I didn't expect to be able to play lots of games against similar-level players to learn it, so it didn't seem like the right fit for me at the time. It put the commitment needed to learn the game in perspective.

irishdomer08

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:14 am

mhatke (US) over hardco (USSR) via nuclear war.

It was the US up 16 heading into Turn 8. Late War cards added to the deck. DEFCON 3.

US headlined defectors to cancel the USSR play of red scare/purge.

USSR played Tear down this wall on AR1. hardco successfully couped Venezuela, which degraded DEFCON to 2.

This is a US event so it triggered. It provides the US with 3 influence in E Germany, which is nice, but it's real value is a free US coup or realignment rolls in Europe using the cards 3 ops.

It is very easy to misread that card I think. 'Free' means I can ignore geography restrictions. DEFCON still degrades if a battleground is couped.

I couped France to bring DEFCON to 1 and trigger nuclear war on hardco's turn.

GG!

I sent a friendly rematch your way if interested.

hardco

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:38 pm

After avoiding Defcon 1 on my turn all game, for some reason I blanked on playing this card. It was only a matter of time this game, but I'd have liked to have made it through the late war at least (or at least until War Games showed up). I'm good for a rematch, it'll have to go better!

Empt

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:23 pm

We are now starting a new non-tourney game as opposite sides, I'm glad to have met a good new Cold War opponent.

I lost the first game, but is the game we are playing right now, non-tourney?

Kolbex

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:53 pm

The lack of email notifications is having a pretty severe impact on my turn-taking speed, sorry. I sent an email to Playdek support a few days ago, but no response yet.

Zebracadabra

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:45 am

@bigjimou I'm accepting the invite for practice. I'll try to stick it out all the way through. I really need to study the card list.

Btw, for anyone who is interested, there is at least one strategy guide on the Geek. I need to read that too

Zebracadabra

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:49 am

Commies send invites? Is it worth noting (now that we are underway, naturally, and when it no longer makes a difference) that apparently +2 starting influence for the US is apparently considered "balanced"?
I don't understand the +2 starting influence for the US comment. Is this really a thing? My game was 0-0 at the start.

Zebracadabra

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:50 pm

It seems the +2 thing for the US is standard for tournaments. See BGG thread.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23283366#23283366

Return to “The Tourney Dome”