SpiceTheCat

Re: Sliding to DEFCON 1: Twilight Struggle tournament thread

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:16 pm

It seems the +2 thing for the US is standard for tournaments. See BGG thread.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23283366#23283366
Fair enough. We can incorporate it from round 3, if it's generally requested.
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

SpiceTheCat

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:19 pm

General check: games 5, 8 and 11 (edit: and 6) are done. How is everyone else getting on? All games up and running?

Also, paging Ferret96. It'll be moderately ironic if I have to rule my own game void.
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

JMH.75

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Game 10 (me vs mgeiger9) is on his way: turn 4 AR7. Still waiting on a crucial mistake of the commies :twisted:

Snotty128

Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:04 pm

Game 7 is ticking along nicely at the end of round 4.

Kolbex really has slowed down since the email notifications have been switched off. Perhaps there is another way I can notify him when Ive submitted my turn?

Kolbex

Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Kolbex really has slowed down since the email notifications have been switched off. Perhaps there is another way I can notify him when Ive submitted my turn?
Yeah, sorry, I did say that was going to happen. I just forget to check...

Snotty128

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 pm

I could have worded that better, youve given plenty of notice of a problem outside your control.

I dont know if you did it on purpose, but I was certain you were going to drop south america scoring at the end of that round. If so then I fell for your bluff quite convincingly.

Kolbex

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:05 pm

I could have worded that better, youve given plenty of notice of a problem outside your control.

I dont know if you did it on purpose, but I was certain you were going to drop south america scoring at the end of that round. If so then I fell for your bluff quite convincingly.
Pretty sure I thought YOU were going for SA. xD

Empt

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:04 am

How does this tourny work? Is it best of 5 with one opponent, or do we switch opponents after the first game is completed?

SleepingGiant

Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:03 am

How does this game deserve its rating? So far, a complete luckfest and in addition to the very dumb luck from dice rolls, circumstances with certain card combos can sabotage the game so significantly one wonders why one is playing.

So at this point, the beginning of turn 3, I either discard my best card (NATO) or I give up my 6 influence in West Germany. That is insane. Really.
Good strategy almost always beats luck in this game. For example, Snotty128 seems to be beating me in a friendly non-tourney game so far, even though I've probably had the better dice luck. There is also a built-in shift in advantage from USSR towards USA in the later stages. Definitely play NATO.
Sure. Play NATO, but now it's worth only three in this round. All I can tell you is the fun was completely sucked away for me on this turn due to a totally unforeseen turn of events. I suppose my discomfort is also due to not knowing the game at all. Am seriously considering giving up before it gets any worse. At this point, I'd be surprised if I had any prayer of coming back from the current deficit. it would have been a lot smarter for me to play through a few times first.

Edit: forfeit after another long look at the board. If it got worse from here, I might just never want to play again and that wouldn't be a good thing. Maybe a few rounds vs the AI will make me a bit smarter.
I agree and I apologize, because my comment sounded sanctimonious when I reread it. This is a brutal game and I've yet to play one instance of it yet without kicking myself for stupid mistakes. I do think my losses have been due to poor strategy on my part rather than poor luck, so in that sense it is a well-designed strategy game.

geigerm

Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:10 am

Game 10 (me vs mgeiger9) is on his way: turn 4 AR7. Still waiting on a crucial mistake of the commies :twisted:
Oh, the mistake is coming, I'm sure. I feel like I've spent the majority of the game trying really hard not to screw up.

Return to “The Tourney Dome”