SpiceTheCat

Pravda vs Voice of America: Twilight Struggle tournament chat and insidious propaganda thread

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Share your tales of perfidy and world-ending incompetence here.
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

rinelk

Re: Pravda vs Voice of America: Twilight Struggle tournament chat and insidious propaganda thread

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:35 pm

Share your tales of perfidy and world-ending incompetence here.
There's some good stuff in the comments on the follies piece, too, if that's your bag.

Snotty128

Re: Pravda vs Voice of America: Twilight Struggle tournament chat and insidious propaganda thread

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:26 pm

Youve almost got to feel sorry for the Iranians at this point. In fact its going to be a rough few weeks for a whole host of 'I' countries, Italy, and Israel. Theres even every chance India will see some blood on the streets before the fortnight is up.

SpiceTheCat

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:19 pm

Turn 1, headline phase.

I, as the USSR, headline 'Warsaw Pact'. Ferret96 headlines '5 Year Plan' and randomly picks 'Defectors' from my hand which, notably, cancels the USSR's headline card. I certainly want to bang my lectern with a shoe at this point :)
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

Snotty128

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:35 pm

In the absence of a megathread, I thought I would post this here.

Something Kelsey said in the tourney thread got me wondering, how would someone go about winning by points during AR 1? Im assuming the opponent is inept or unlucky, rather than actively trying to gift you the win.

For a while I was thinking about using the nazi scientist then spacing 2 cards for 5 vp, but I think 3 lucky wars would give a better return for the cards played.

Heres what Ive got so far:

As USSR:

Place influence in poland and 3 stability european non battleground
Headline Korean war = 2vp
Coup Italy
Usa influences Pakistan (a reasonable move? If the ussr didnt coup iran)
Indo-pakistani war = 2vp
Arab isreali war = 2vp
4 influence card to control South Korea and Afghanistan
Asia scoring, domination = 3+7-3 = 7vp
Europe scoring, domination = 3+7-3 = 7vp

Thats 24vp if you include the military ops points from the coup. Its also a shockingly unlikely series of events.

doublebullout

Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:44 pm

Just finished watching "Bridge of Spies" starring Tom Hanks this morning. I was born in the mid-60s, so the Rudolf Abel - Gary Powers exchange was before my time. What an amazing story. Highly recommended watching while you wait between turns!

hardco

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:39 pm

edit: I was wrong!
Last edited by hardco on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strangiato

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:20 pm

I think I found a bug in a game with doublebullout. I played The China Card when Red Scare/Menace was headlined, and it would sometimes give me 5 influence points, depending on the countries I chose in Asia. It seemed like if I selected uncontrolled countries it gave me the 5th influence, and if I had to use two influence because the country was under enemy control it would limit me to the 4 I should have under Red Scare.

In the end, I selected countries for the correct effect, but watch out for this bug (unless I'm misunderstanding some sort of interaction here).
If it's an online game, send me the game # and I can take a look at what's going on in that instance.

rinelk

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:38 pm

Just finished watching "Bridge of Spies" starring Tom Hanks this morning. I was born in the mid-60s, so the Rudolf Abel - Gary Powers exchange was before my time. What an amazing story. Highly recommended watching while you wait between turns!
After Wolf Hall, I'm getting to the point where I'll strongly consider watching anything with Mark Rylance in it. I feel similarly about Michael Kitchen, of Foyle's War fame (an excellent series which starts out unrelated to Twilight Struggle).

hardco

Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:07 am

I think I found a bug in a game with doublebullout. I played The China Card when Red Scare/Menace was headlined, and it would sometimes give me 5 influence points, depending on the countries I chose in Asia. It seemed like if I selected uncontrolled countries it gave me the 5th influence, and if I had to use two influence because the country was under enemy control it would limit me to the 4 I should have under Red Scare.

In the end, I selected countries for the correct effect, but watch out for this bug (unless I'm misunderstanding some sort of interaction here).
If it's an online game, send me the game # and I can take a look at what's going on in that instance.
No, it was my mistake! I forgot that Vietnam Revolts was active.

Return to “The Tourney Dome”