Snotty128

Re: Pravda vs Voice of America: Twilight Struggle tournament chat and insidious propaganda thread

Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Had a random game go down to final scoring last night, which I won with 1vp, thanks to holding the china card.

5/6 regions had no control or domination, my last move was to break domination in europe by breaking control of Spain.

I discarded southeast asia scoring with 'ask not' and it never showed up again.

I knew from the mid game that it was going to be a tight match. Absolute blinder of a game.

SleepingGiant

Re: Pravda vs Voice of America: Twilight Struggle tournament chat and insidious propaganda thread

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:32 pm

I was just reading the annotated game in the official rules: http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/TSRules2nd.pdf

The US tried realignment in France in T2 AR6 when DEFCON was at 2. How is that legit? I thought Europe was immune to coup and realignment below DEFCON 5? Is that a bug or was there some card rule that left France open to realignment?

irishdomer08

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:11 pm

I was just reading the annotated game in the official rules: http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/TSRules2nd.pdf

The US tried realignment in France in T2 AR6 when DEFCON was at 2. How is that legit? I thought Europe was immune to coup and realignment below DEFCON 5? Is that a bug or was there some card rule that left France open to realignment?
Good catch. I just read that section and it does seem incorrect.

Snotty128

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:25 pm

That whole turn seems a mess. They used red scare as a 2 ops card (its 4 ops), they countered blockade with formosan resolution (thats 2 ops, blockade requires 3).

SleepingGiant

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:43 pm

Indeed, I think I also noted another illegal realignment later and also another wrong ops value for Indo-Pakistan war. Maybe this doc is out of date? Does anyone have a pointer to the current definitive rules?

SleepingGiant

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:06 am

Indeed, I think I also noted another illegal realignment later and also another wrong ops value for Indo-Pakistan war. Maybe this doc is out of date? Does anyone have a pointer to the current definitive rules?
Yeah, I think their annotated game is just a mess. That same doc clearly says no realignment in Europe when DEFCON is below 5. Apparently they were just playing a cardboard version of the game, poorly. I haven't noticed a single bug in the app version of TS.

JammaTal

Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:32 am

the "DeGaulle leads France" card brings along some special rules for France. but it "only" cancels the effect of NATO for France.

JammaTal

Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:07 am

this 2nd edition rulebook is from 2006.
the newest rulebook is the Designer's Edition from 2015.
no idea about the download source for this, but the 2009 Deluxe Edition rules seem to have been revised too.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/ ... luxe-rules
and so the following applies to both:

they contain a complete new "extended example of play":
"What follows is an example of play taken from the finals of the Boardgame Players’ Association online tournament. This final features two of the finest Twilight Struggle players in the country—Chris Withers and Stefan Mecay. Until 2009, Stefan had won every Twilight Struggle tournament held at the World Boardgaming Championships. Chris Withers was the only player to defeat Stefan in tournament play. In 2009, he did so in the semi-final at the World Boardgaming Championships going on to win the tournament."

what a difference to the dubious former effort! a very interesting playout with many enlightening comments.

hardco

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:18 pm

So playing against the AI on a flight yesterday, I forgot Puppet Governments was a US card when I was the Soviets, and I headlined it. Based on the movement of the timer, it looked like it was going to take the AI at least 20 minutes to figure out where to place his influence.

Is this normal, or is it because I shocked the AI by headlining that?

Private Prinny

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:12 pm

Invite out to private prinny. Since he is a lowly private and I am a commander in chief, we should just dispense with formalities and declare me the winner.....right?

Oh well....
N2gdXlZ.jpg
N2gdXlZ.jpg (67.24 KiB) Viewed 20180 times
Down with capitalism (and elitism apparently) ;-P

Return to “The Tourney Dome”