KYakerDude

Re: [Tourney Thread] Ascension Dreamscape Tournament

Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:36 pm

The 3 cost heroes that can double either resource end up being pretty useless as a result. I find that you are usually better off just picking high impact dreamscape cards given the opportunity (free hero/free banish/free constructs, something that gives 10 honor, or a Vigil's Resolve).
The doubling of resources can be very powerful at times. I saw this with the Bringer of Dispair which doubles the power. js619 played two of these cards in one hand. The power doubled twice and was around 50 allowing him to score a ton of points. Needless to say, the game was basically over after that. Then he did it again.

It seems to me that about once a game someone is able to put together a combination that really works well that generates many points. The game is not long enough that the opponent has a chance for their own massive combination. I think this is why the last turn in the game often has someone playing a strong hand, essentially finishing off the remaining points and ending the game.

I've not played any other expansions, so I don't know how this compares to them. Compared to the CoTGS it seems to allow bigger combinations and has a few cards that are much more powerful. If they don't fall during your turn, you are likely to lose.

Js619

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:10 pm

The 3 cost heroes that can double either resource end up being pretty useless as a result. I find that you are usually better off just picking high impact dreamscape cards given the opportunity (free hero/free banish/free constructs, something that gives 10 honor, or a Vigil's Resolve).
The doubling of resources can be very powerful at times. I saw this with the Bringer of Dispair which doubles the power. js619 played two of these cards in one hand. The power doubled twice and was around 50 allowing him to score a ton of points. Needless to say, the game was basically over after that. Then he did it again.

It seems to me that about once a game someone is able to put together a combination that really works well that generates many points. The game is not long enough that the opponent has a chance for their own massive combination. I think this is why the last turn in the game often has someone playing a strong hand, essentially finishing off the remaining points and ending the game.

I've not played any other expansions, so I don't know how this compares to them. Compared to the CoTGS it seems to allow bigger combinations and has a few cards that are much more powerful. If they don't fall during your turn, you are likely to lose.
Yeah, sorry (not sorry) about that combo... I didn't have great cards in my Dreamscape to start, so I grabbed those two that doubled my red and figured I'd go heavy into the reds... seems to have paid off, except that I haven't seen a legit monster in the center row for several turns lol!

Js619

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:13 pm

I'm also not a huge fan of the expansion--I'd found the same thing with Sensei/Mystics/Infantry. Not sure I've ever put together a "good" deck--Dreamscape alone doesn't have enough banishing cards, I think.

It's been nice to play Ascension again, though. Maybe I'll organize a more vanilla Ascension tourney after this one's done.
Totally agree on the lack of cards for banishing - as far as I can recall, there are only the two Enlightened and two Void cards that do it in this one. I really enjoy the expansion that came out right before this - with the factions. Although talk about swingy... nothing like watching your opponent rally four or five constructs in a row... :(

Private Prinny

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:32 pm

I'm also not a huge fan of the expansion--I'd found the same thing with Sensei/Mystics/Infantry. Not sure I've ever put together a "good" deck--Dreamscape alone doesn't have enough banishing cards, I think.

It's been nice to play Ascension again, though. Maybe I'll organize a more vanilla Ascension tourney after this one's done.
Totally agree on the lack of cards for banishing - as far as I can recall, there are only the two Enlightened and two Void cards that do it in this one. I really enjoy the expansion that came out right before this - with the factions. Although talk about swingy... nothing like watching your opponent rally four or five constructs in a row... :(
Not in this tourney but agree somewhat, albeit the art and style is nice on Dreamscape I must say the last expansion is my favourite. I miss the old art style fron CotGS much but the last expansion with the Themed approach (and also directly messing with the themes of your enemies) suits me best.

hardco

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:51 pm

The biggest problem with the banishing cards in this set is that they don't really do anything else for you other than the banish (except the sensai), so the will eventually thin the deck, but they don't help in the early game.

Given the lack of good banishers or meaningful card draw, the doublers have proven really inconsistent. I've had games that I've felt were pretty much won by hitting two of the two honor lifebound guys after the first reshuffle for their unite bonus, and that's even less of a combo than a doubler plus a matching faction AND extra resources to make use of the doubling.

robthomasson

rob vs whovian223

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:56 am

rob 81 > whovian223 74

A closely fought second game in which I was again helped out by the monster that gives your three free Dreamscape cards.

geigerm - I can't seem to enter the result in Challonge. It probably needs your privileged access to enter that game and/or move me on to the next round.

Thanks to whovian223 for two tense games.

geigerm

Re: rob vs whovian223

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:55 am

rob 81 > whovian223 74

geigerm - I can't seem to enter the result in Challonge. It probably needs your privileged access to enter that game and/or move me on to the next round.
Done. Your opponent is set, too--js619 won 2-0.

Js619

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:05 pm

rob 81 > whovian223 74

Done. Your opponent is set, too--js619 won 2-0.
Thanks for setting that up - I sent Rob an invite (minus the promo cards, Rob :) ). Kayak and I have a third game going anyway, wasn't sure if Challonge knew the best out of three.

geigerm

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks for setting that up - I sent Rob an invite (minus the promo cards, Rob :) ). Kayak and I have a third game going anyway, wasn't sure if Challonge knew the best out of three.
I can't set it up to recognize best of three (as far as I know). Since you hadn't selected a winner, I just clicked the appropriate box so the bracket shows you advancing.

whovian223

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:46 pm

rob 81 > whovian223 74

A closely fought second game in which I was again helped out by the monster that gives your three free Dreamscape cards.

Thanks to whovian223 for two tense games.
Yeah, they were both tight! Good games for both of them, but sadly couldn't come out on top

Return to “The Tourney Dome”