iandavidsmith

Brass Tournment

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:29 am

Where did the Brass tournament thread go ?
Ian

Snotty128

Re: Brass Tournment

Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:23 am

Looks like youve just made it. I will cut and paste my post from the other thread

The London results are in!

Snotty128 : 204
@robthomasson : 180
@whovian223 : 153

The big injection of double points at the end of the canal era made all the difference in the end. It was a make or break gamble as to whether I would get my level 4 mill, and the remainder of my level 3 mills flipped. It was a tense few days waiting for those turns to come back in!

robthomasson

London Pool Result

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:06 pm

Also as said in the old place ...

Well played @Snotty128 - a complete performance. You managed the turn order to my disadvantage more than once (as well as scoring loads of points.

Whovian223 also stymied me with the turn order and it was only mid-way through the Rail Era that I felt confident of second place - and getting two shipyards down was the confirmation.

whovian223

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:26 pm

One of these days, I'll actually make a Shipyard strategy work. I never build them because they get unwieldy, but then somebody builds at least one and beats me...

robthomasson

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:16 pm

One of these days, I'll actually make a Shipyard strategy work. I never build them because they get unwieldy, but then somebody builds at least one and beats me...
I don't think it can be a definite strategy as it depends so much on getting the right cards - and developing shipyards but then missing out is crippling.

In this game It wasn't my plan until I realised that I did have the cards and that my other options had dried up. Even then I hesitated as Snotty128 might have been able to build two of the three shipyards before me - but luckily it turned out that he could only build one. It wasn't just that I had cards for the shipyard locations, I also had access points for Birkenhead & Barrow from builds in the Canal Era.

Snotty128

Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:10 am

I had planned to build liverpool and barrow. The turn I was going to put this into motion was the same turn rob moved to do the same, but before me in the turn order. As he had the jump on me I doubted I would get 2 shipyards with the cards I had, so I settled for raising the price of iron and forcing him to use the less efficient shipyard in birkenhead.

geigerm

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:12 am

I got knocked out of this tournament early, but I'm looking forward to the eventual Brass Tournament #2. I've played several friendly games since my early loss, as well as a few against the AI. I think I actually understand most of the game at this point, which seemed like an unfathomable outcome when I first started.

robthomasson

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14 am

I had planned to build liverpool and barrow. The turn I was going to put this into motion was the same turn rob moved to do the same, but before me in the turn order. As he had the jump on me I doubted I would get 2 shipyards with the cards I had, so I settled for raising the price of iron and forcing him to use the less efficient shipyard in birkenhead.
I see. I had to hope that you could not build in the rather annoying Birkenhead. I had that location card and had seen one earlier. I didn't know how many there were, and I could not (still don't) remember the exception rule about Birkenhead, so I just hoped you could not build there.

I had not even thought about shipyards until that turn. Obvious maxim - review plans & thoughts every turn.

I imagine we will play another tourney - key thing, the app is great.

JammaTal

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:47 am

yes, the game is a burner and the app is great as well.
for me Agricola, Brass and Neuroshima Hex are the best of the best.

(and btw i will always appreciate Eclipse too. it can be played and completed when all players are ready to post short log notes for their turns.)

it's astonishing how much fun i use to have playing Brass, even when all plans go wrong and i lose badly.
always learning a lot by that.
and the game keeps growing on you. "next time i will do better" the dominant thought again and again ;)

geigerm

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm

The app is really excellent. My two minor quibbles (which I should probably pass along to the devs):
  • Unless I'm missing something, I have to go back to the main menu and then into the online game menu to switch between games. A "next game" button would be nice.
  • The app's generally very good about graying out and disabling options you can't use during your turn, but the option to sell cotton seems to always be available after you've sold cotton once, even if you don't have cotton to sell.

Return to “The Tourney Dome”