hardco

Re: Star Realms: The Events Awaken - Tourney Thread

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:59 pm

Just finished the third match with hardco, after he won the first and I the second one.
It was a tense fight with me still standing after the dust has settled. Good games Hardco!

I didn't write down the scores from the first two matches. They aren't in my matches-screen anymore. The last one I won with 3 vs -7. Ok if I write them in challonge as one game with 2-1 score?
Good match!

For a match description, the frst game had sjeng opening with a Ram, leaving me the decision between grabbing the Freighter, and leaving the Blob Destroyer and Blob Fighter available for sjeng, or taking the Destroyer for myself. I went with the Blobs, and sjeng grabbed the Freighter and put together a powerful base package. I stayed on the offense with Blob and Machine Cult and finished him off when he got stuck in a weak part of his deck. 33 to -4

Game 2, the starting cards were weak, with the best early buy being a Space Station. But with no powerful cards on the board, I chose to get two Explorers instead. sjeng picked up the Space Station, and unfortunately a Brain World appeared soon after. sjeng got that and soon things got out of hand... Is the Space Station always the right pick in these situations?

Game 3 had me with an aggressive deck again (blobs mainly with a Fleet HQ), with sjeng having a more defensive deck with Brain World again! With both of us around 20, I chose to eat 6 damage from an event instead of losing my Fleet HQ. If figured if I drew my Battle Blob next round I could finish him off. I didn't, and figuring I would be dead next turn, I bought all the cheap cards I could, hoping to trigger a card draw event. By some miracle, I survived the next turn (I think the only left in his deck was the Brain World), but I drew into some of the weak cards I bought the previous turn, and didn't have the firepower to finish him off.

Sjeng

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:42 pm

I only picked the space station for some early defense and the ability to scrap it for 4 to buy expensive stuff once they showed up. Very lucky to be able to use it to buy that brain world when it appeared in the trade row.

Nice tactic to buy cheap cards to trigger events. Hadn't thought about it that way.

Holsten-Knight

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:21 pm

2nd Game between halfvoid and me complete, unbelivable lucky me. One less damage card in my last draw and halfvoid would have won. 9:-2. We want to play the 3rd match? Would be fine with me. :)

robthomasson

Rob vs John_L

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:52 pm

We are tied at 1-1 ... now starting the third game ...

halfvoid

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:48 am

2nd Game between halfvoid and me complete, unbelivable lucky me. One less damage card in my last draw and halfvoid would have won. 9:-2. We want to play the 3rd match? Would be fine with me. :)
That second game definitely ended in a Shatner in Wrath of Khan like scream. Well played sir. Sent a challenge for the 3rd match as a hope to at least win one game in the finals.

robthomasson

Round 1 : Rob vs John L

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:59 pm

Rob 2 > John_L 1

A deserved upon each then John was fought by Events. In our last game I found myself without buying power but with combat strength, and scrapping power, so the question was whether I would be able to beat John down before he amassed enough defence and superior strength. Then two Events played out together that suited me. We both lost authority and John lost a base. I then had just enough combat to take the win before the tide turned.

Great set of matches.

irishdomer08

Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:45 am

mhatke over Geigerm 2-1

Very close and tense finale

GG!

geigerm

Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:16 pm

mhatke over Geigerm 2-1

Very close and tense finale

GG!
Yup, great games. You slaughtered me in the first one, I won pretty comfortably in the second, and that third one was a nail-biter. I think I might have thinned my deck too much--I was down to 6 cards at one point and couldn't buy much to improve it. Good luck the rest of the way ...

irishdomer08

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:58 pm

Holsten, invite for the next round headed your way. Good luck!

Holsten-Knight

Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:50 am

@halfvoid how did you manage such a bad draw to leave me with 1 on your last turn? I had just a quick look at your cards left yesterday and was sure to lose. Sry for that, very good played!

@irishdomer: invite accepted, good luck!

Return to “The Tourney Dome”